Grouper ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cu455

New
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of grouper this is? Thanks

No photo can be seen, reload. Please include location, depth, etc. the more info the better.

A Black Grouper. A very Black Grouper. Either that, or the uploaded video is not running.

It is hard to see clearly, but it does not look like a grouper to me....wrong head shape, wrong lips, wrong tail/fins color.
Why do you think it is a grouper?
Give us a hint: what ocean is this in?

It does appear to be in the grouper family, possibly genus Cephalopholis. The other fish seems to be a Fundulus. Because they are in an aquarium the origin of the fish cannot be determined, greatly limiting the identification process.

I am not sure how to upload pictures here. You can see pictures of the grouper when I first got it here. I just spoke to the wholesaler and he said that it probably came from Sri Lanka and was a member of the genus cephalopholis. I will ask the store I got him at to ask again. Maybe he can get a more specific answer.

Has anyone seen a grouper this white while diving? I am thinking it has something up genetically and not showing red or blue pigment.

Grouper ID | MonsterFishKeepers.com

Back
Top Bottom