Groupers changing color???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The book "Reef Fish Behavior" by Ned Deloach, photos by Paul Humann, has this to say about groupers changing colors:

Nearly all groupers can switch colors and body patterns quickly and can also lighten and darken radically. These often striking transitions are triggered by changes in habitat, water depth, light levels or the fishes' desposition. Changes in patterns frequently occur when groupers feed, attend cleaning stations, spawn, resit or signal members of their own species. <emphasis added>

I highly recommend this book, along with the companion Reef Fish ID and Reef Creature ID books written by Paul Humann and edited by Ned Deloach.

Gee, now there is an idea... use the wealth of knowledge sitting on my library shelf. Yes, I have found many references now that Mr Grouper made me aware of this phenomenon. I guess groupers just fall into the category of another fish that swims by and you say "cool" but don't pay that much attention to. I will be studying them much closer in my future dives! The ocean never stops amazing me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom