Grumpy Ol Diving Instructor - How Old is Too Old to Start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Looking down the road 10+ years...

I'll never really retire (I'm too hyper to not keep busy all the way until they burn me up). I have no interest in instructing recreational divers right now (I'm a Tech DM who DM's with a friend the occasional tech class), but was thinking that some day, when I stop working full time and retire to that big houseboat somewhere warm, maybe I'd do some recreational instruction now and then.

So the question is, assuming good health and fitness, how old is too old to do recreational instruction?

You don't quit because you get old, you get old because you quit!

Old age has nothing to do with your ability to teach, it is your mind and attitude that inspires students to excel at learning. Go for it and keep it up.

BTW my wife got certified a year ago at age 74 and loves diving. She is the one who taught me about getting old and quitting.

I'm pushing 60 and still teaching...just don't like cold temps

One of my course directors is 67 and she's still going strong! She just became an HSA instructor too.

Too old? Only if you're pushing daisies.

Given a short boat ride, smooth surface, no current, no surge, and shallow water, I think one can dive till they die.

I have noticed that the 80yr old female divers cancel when the surface is rough. They can not tolerate the bouncing boats.

It just a matter of using common sense.

If you can do it then do it. When you have apprehensions, call it off and move on.

So the question is, assuming good health and fitness, how old is too old to do recreational instruction?

Oh. I thought you needed to know how old is too old to start being grumpy. :D It's always a good age to start being grumpy.

Almost 63 now! I am an active MSDT working for one of the diveshops located on West End, Roatan, Honduras (after having lived and worked as an instructor on Margarita Island, Venezuela for the past 4 years). Between leading certified divers on dives and teaching PADI courses, I dive 2 to 3 times a day, 6 days a week. I am thinking about taking the IDC Staff course, but I am just too busy and don't have the time. You are never to old............Lee

Last edited:
Rick, you don’t mention your age, and that’s fair since chronological age shouldn’t matter.

I’m still an active instructor at 66, so I’ve given this some thought.
Eventually I will deteriorate to the point that I won’t feel able to perform a rescue. When that happens I will:
Make sure I always have excellent assistants present, and/or
teach non-diving courses like equipment maintenance, and/or
teach courses like DiveMaster with students who are unlikely to need rescue.

I expect to never be too old to be a scuba instructor, but eventually I’ll be too feeble. Then I’ll hang it up for good.

If you’re reasonably confident you can handle whatever scenarios are likely to occur, go for it.

best wishes,

k

Last edited:
Peter got his OWSI at 62, and seems to be going strong so far . . . I think the point about rescue is a good one, though.

Back
Top Bottom