Grumpy Ol Diving Instructor - How Old is Too Old to Start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fitness for a rescue would probably be the most likely to make me stop. Would never want to live with the what if thoughts that will be with you the rest of your days. Other than that, old age is just more time to add experience.

Diving was my "Retirement Gift" to myself at age 60. Currently approaching 63 (this month) and have my SSI Master Diver card with 125 dives and am more fit than most of the people on the boats I dive from.

I saw a quote in the paper this morning that is supposedly from a John Wayne movie: "I don't want to get to the point where I talk about what I used to do" (or something to that effect) in regard to why we "more experienced" people keep doing what we love......

I'm planning on diving until I no longer consider myself able to self rescue or to rescue my buddy. Then it'll be time to hang up my flippers and give my gear to someone else who can use it safely.

Turned 63 last month, and today I passed my IDC Staff Instructor course here on Roatan, Honduras. I am the instructor on staff for a dive resort called Pura Vida located in West End, Roatan, and loving every minute of this life style!!!!!!!

I'm 63 but I have a fake ID that says I'm 45.

One drawback that I see with a grumpy old dive instructor (outside of ones mentioned above) is that by the time we reached the grumpy stage, we have (hopefully) acquired assets vs the young dive pros who have less to lose. In this litigious society, I'd want to make sure my ass(ets) are covered!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom