Guadalupe Shark dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverchic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm doing the Great White cage dive at Guadalupe Island in October. I'm really worried that I'm going to be too cold in a 7mm farmer John. I don't want to ruin the experience. Does anyone who's done the dive have any advice?

Hi Divechic. Welcome to Scubaboard.
I worked a season of Great Whites in Guadalupe in the fall of 2007. A 2pc 7mm was fine. Dont' forget a hood, warm boots and gloves. Neoprene socks inside the boots help. You will probably rotate one hour in the water, then one out. Warm showers in between dives helps as well as staying warm during surface intervals with scuba coat and sweatshirts. Surface climate is pleasant that time of the year with plenty of sunshine.
You will have a blast. THE GWS are sooo impressive.

Interesting.

I have never done a cage dive, but I assume that you will be in a wetsuit since the air will be surface-supplied and you will have no way of inflating a drysuit - is this the case? If one wanted to do a cage dive in a drysuit, would the operator allow you to take a pony bottle along for suit inflation?

Thanks

Good point. They recommend a 7mm suit but say the water temps are 65-70 degrees F. That's probably why they dont suggest a dry suit. I'll ask. Thanks!

Good point. They recommend a 7mm suit but say the water temps are 65-70 degrees F. That's probably why they dont suggest a dry suit. I'll ask. Thanks!

Depends on the individual, but you should be toasty!

Many did cage dive in their drysuits. Since you don't go deep you don't get much squeeze requiring air. Occasionally some did use pony bottles for their drysuit inflation.

With adrenalin pumping and heart racing, I promise you won't be thinking about being cold when a GWS comes by as you dare reach out to "shake hands with the tax man."

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm the type who gets cold very easily. I've been to Guadalupe several times (will actually be there this October, as well). I wear a 5mm core warmer under my 7mm Hyperstretch jumpsuit at Guadalupe and still get cold when there is a lull in the action, but as was mentioned above when the white sharks are around you don't think about being cold.

I work on a boat that does cage diving at Guedalupe Island. I usually go in with just my 5mm wetsuit, no hood, boots or gloves - then again I've also gone in with just my bathing suit. But if you're doing several dives a day, a 7mm with boots, hood and gloves should do you just fine, however if you are worried about it, you may want to dive dry suit. In my experience, the majority of people wear thick wet suits.

Back
Top Bottom