GUE Equipment Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bs98

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone,
I’ve been browsing through here doing my best to soak up some knowledge, but the keyword "GUE" is too short to be able to use in the search tool... I’ve been a vacation PADI diver for a few years, but have recently fallen in love with hyperbaric medicine and have decided to really step up my diving competence. Everything I have been reading tells me the next step is to buy the appropriate gear and get started in GUE fundamentals.

Unfortunately, I am new enough that going through the GUE equipment list is a bit confusing. Is anyone able to suggest newbie GUE equipment list, or dumb down the requirements? I don’t have a local GUE shop so I am not confident that they know my needs, and would prefer to not pay that premium if cheaper versions are available online. I will need to buy everything new, from mask, fins, to backplate, BCD, regulator, dive computer, etc. I am hoping this can be done for $1500?

My plan is to go on several week-long diving expeditions in the future throughout the. world, though I can't say I have plans for dry suit or cave stuff at this time.

I am open to all advice and suggestions, but will post a few specific questions as well:

Regulators: The price range on these is so wide, I don't know where to start. It also seems like I'll need the setup to do 2 tanks?

Backplate: I see different weights and configurations (1 vs 2 tank?) and don't know where to begin. I don't plan to dive my own tanks, so I'd like to be able to accomodate whatever tanks are most common in the U.S. and ideally worldwide.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this and welcoming me to the community.

The GUE base equipment configuration is comprised of:

1. Tanks/cylinders: Students may use a single tank/cylinder with a single- or dual-outlet valve. Students may also use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual-outlet isolator manifold, which allows for the use of two first stages. Dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual-outlet, non-isolator manifold can be used, but only in recreational (no decompression) diving, and are considered an alternative for a single tank/cylinder. Consult course-specific standards and your instructor to verify size requirements.
  2. Regulators:
    1. Single tank: The first stage must supply a primary second stage via a 5 to 7 ft/1.5 to 2 m hose. A backup second stage must be necklaced and supplied via a short hose. The first stage must also supply an analog pressure gauge, inflation for the buoyancy compensator (BC), and (when applicable) inflation for a drysuit.
    2. Double tank: One first stage must supply a primary second stage via a 5 to 7 ft/1.5 to 2 m hose (7 ft/2 m hose is required for all cave classes), and inflation for the buoyancy compensator (BC). The other first stage must supply a necklaced backup second stage via a short hose, an analog pressure gauge, and (when applicable) inflation for a drysuit.
  3. Backplate system:
    1. Is held to the diver by one continuous piece of webbing. This webbing is adjustable and uses a buckle to secure the system at the waist.
    2. A crotch strap is attached and looped through the waistband to prevent the system from riding up a diver’s back.
    3. The continuous webbing must support five D-rings;
      1. The first placed at the left hip
      2. The second placed in line with a diver’s right collarbone
      3. The third placed in line with the diver’s left collarbone
      4. The fourth and fifth are placed on the front and back of the crotch strap when divers plan to use advanced equipment such as DPVs.
    4. The harness below the diver’s arms has small restrictive bands to allow for the placement of backup lights. The webbing and system retains a minimalist approach.
  4. Buoyancy compensation device (BC):
    1. A diver’s BC is back-mounted and minimalist in nature.
    2. It is free of extraneous strings, tabs, or other material.
    3. There are no restrictive bands or restrictive elastic affixed to the buoyancy cell.
    4. Wing size and shape is appropriate to the cylinder size(s) employed for training.
  5. At least one time/depth measuring device
  6. Wrist-mounted compass
  7. Mask and fins: Mask is low-volume; fins are rigid, non-split.
  8. Backup mask
  9. At least one cutting device
  10. Wetnotes with pencils
  11. Surface marker buoy (SMB) with spool: when required, the SMB should be appropriate for environmental conditions and deployed using a spool with at least 100 ft/30 m of line.
  12. Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure

ADDITIONAL COURSE-SPECIFIC EQUIPMENT​

1. Where required, back gas and stage cylinders are marked in accordance with the GUE General Training Standards, Policies, and Procedures document and configured in line with GUE protocols.
  2. When drysuit inflation systems are applicable, they should be sized appropriately for the environment; small tanks are placed on the left side of the backplate with larger supplies affixed to the diver’s left back gas tank.
  3. Underwater lights:
    1. When required, backup lights should be powered by alkaline batteries (not rechargeable) and stowed on the D-rings at a diver’s chest.
    2. Backup lights should have a minimal amount of protrusions and a single attachment at the rear.
    3. The primary light should consist of a rechargeable battery pack and be fitted with a Goodman-style light handle.
    4. When burn time requirements create the need for an external battery pack, it should reside in a canister mounted on the diver’s right hip.
  4. Guideline devices, as required during cave diving activities:
    1. A primary reel is required for all cave diving and provides a minimalist form factor with a handle designed to support a Goodman or “hands free” handle operation. The primary reel must contain at least 150 ft/45 m of line.
    2. A safety spool is required for each diver while cave diving and must contain at least 150 ft/45 m of line.
    3. A jump or gap spool is required during Cave 2 diving and must contain at least 75 ft/23 m of line.

The GUE base equipment configuration is comprised of:

1. Tanks/cylinders: Students may use a single tank/cylinder with a single- or dual-outlet valve. Students may also use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual-outlet isolator manifold, which allows for the use of two first stages. Dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual-outlet, non-isolator manifold can be used, but only in recreational (no decompression) diving, and are considered an alternative for a single tank/cylinder. Consult course-specific standards and your instructor to verify size requirements.
  2. Regulators:
    1. Single tank: The first stage must supply a primary second stage via a 5 to 7 ft/1.5 to 2 m hose. A backup second stage must be necklaced and supplied via a short hose. The first stage must also supply an analog pressure gauge, inflation for the buoyancy compensator (BC), and (when applicable) inflation for a drysuit.
    2. Double tank: One first stage must supply a primary second stage via a 5 to 7 ft/1.5 to 2 m hose (7 ft/2 m hose is required for all cave classes), and inflation for the buoyancy compensator (BC). The other first stage must supply a necklaced backup second stage via a short hose, an analog pressure gauge, and (when applicable) inflation for a drysuit.
  3. Backplate system:
    1. Is held to the diver by one continuous piece of webbing. This webbing is adjustable and uses a buckle to secure the system at the waist.
    2. A crotch strap is attached and looped through the waistband to prevent the system from riding up a diver’s back.
    3. The continuous webbing must support five D-rings;
      1. The first placed at the left hip
      2. The second placed in line with a diver’s right collarbone
      3. The third placed in line with the diver’s left collarbone
      4. The fourth and fifth are placed on the front and back of the crotch strap when divers plan to use advanced equipment such as DPVs.
    4. The harness below the diver’s arms has small restrictive bands to allow for the placement of backup lights. The webbing and system retains a minimalist approach.
  4. Buoyancy compensation device (BC):
    1. A diver’s BC is back-mounted and minimalist in nature.
    2. It is free of extraneous strings, tabs, or other material.
    3. There are no restrictive bands or restrictive elastic affixed to the buoyancy cell.
    4. Wing size and shape is appropriate to the cylinder size(s) employed for training.
  5. At least one time/depth measuring device
  6. Wrist-mounted compass
  7. Mask and fins: Mask is low-volume; fins are rigid, non-split.
  8. Backup mask
  9. At least one cutting device
  10. Wetnotes with pencils
  11. Surface marker buoy (SMB) with spool: when required, the SMB should be appropriate for environmental conditions and deployed using a spool with at least 100 ft/30 m of line.
  12. Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure

ADDITIONAL COURSE-SPECIFIC EQUIPMENT​

1. Where required, back gas and stage cylinders are marked in accordance with the GUE General Training Standards, Policies, and Procedures document and configured in line with GUE protocols.
  2. When drysuit inflation systems are applicable, they should be sized appropriately for the environment; small tanks are placed on the left side of the backplate with larger supplies affixed to the diver’s left back gas tank.
  3. Underwater lights:
    1. When required, backup lights should be powered by alkaline batteries (not rechargeable) and stowed on the D-rings at a diver’s chest.
    2. Backup lights should have a minimal amount of protrusions and a single attachment at the rear.
    3. The primary light should consist of a rechargeable battery pack and be fitted with a Goodman-style light handle.
    4. When burn time requirements create the need for an external battery pack, it should reside in a canister mounted on the diver’s right hip.
  4. Guideline devices, as required during cave diving activities:
    1. A primary reel is required for all cave diving and provides a minimalist form factor with a handle designed to support a Goodman or “hands free” handle operation. The primary reel must contain at least 150 ft/45 m of line.
    2. A safety spool is required for each diver while cave diving and must contain at least 150 ft/45 m of line.
    3. A jump or gap spool is required during Cave 2 diving and must contain at least 75 ft/23 m of line.
Thank you for the reply. I have this list printed but would love recommendations on where to start regarding specific regulators, backplates, BCD that are GUE compliant without being overkill for the purposes of a recreational diver such as myself

What do you have now?

If nothing, then start with these packages:

starting from 0, so this looks exactly like what I need. Is PSI common anywhere outside the US? Also, what backplate material and weight configuration would you recommend? Diving mostly warm water, weighing 200 lbs without any equipment on

@JoeTPhilly Thanks for the article. I've worked with a lot of hyperbaric techs and docs over the past few years and it is such an amazing field of science and medicine. It doesn't pay the big bucks all the time and its so niche that the ones I've worked with have all had real passion for the work and been divers themselves. The downside of this is that there's just not enough to provide quick coverage.

starting from 0, so this looks exactly like what I need. Is PSI common anywhere outside the US? Also, what backplate material and weight configuration would you recommend? Diving mostly warm water, weighing 200 lbs without any equipment on
PSI is the norm in North America and the Caribbean. BAR everywhere else. IMO, bar is easier to work with, but this is a question for your fundies instructor since everyone should be using the same units.

Backplate material: How much lead do you normally use (I'm assuming you are renting a conventional BCD and Al80, if not let us know)?

Weighting configuration: I don't think GUE wants pockets on the waist band. For maximum flexibility in getting in trim, you can put a pair of trim pockets on each cam band (see the video below). Otherwise you'll use a weight belt.

I use these trim pockets. They are cheap and hold up to a 5lb hard weight (4lb soft).

Thank you for the reply. I have this list printed but would love recommendations on where to start regarding specific regulators, backplates, BCD that are GUE compliant without being overkill for the purposes of a recreational diver such as myself
Don't get too hung up on specific brands and models. If possible try to connect with other local DIR divers to see what they're using. It helps to have some commonality so that you can share gear where necessary.

For regulators you'll most often see Scubapro, Apeks, Atomic Aquatics, and Halcyon. But some of the smaller brands are also fine. You'll need periodic parts and service so what brands are available at your local shops?

Backplates and wings are interchangeable. Twenty years ago it was pretty much only Halcyon producing top gear in that category, and you still won't go wrong with them. But other brands have caught up now and are basically equivalent.

Back
Top Bottom