• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

GUE Fundamentals Class

Discussion in 'DIR' started by gkrane, Apr 10, 2018.

1. LiteHedded

LiteHedded Great White

tech pass on my first go round as well. it's not as bad as scubaboard reports would have you believe.

PfcAJ likes this.
  2. CptTightPants21

CptTightPants21 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    From what I have seen, I would put the pass rates on the first attempt around:

40%: Rec Pass
    20%: Tech Pass
    40%: Provisional

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  3. KevinNM

KevinNM DIR Practitioner

Sure, if you are already an experienced tech diver. Though no guarantees, I had a guy with full cave in a class and we all got provisionals. He had different issues than me, but when Mark went over the standards at Subway and asked how we’d done it was pretty subdued.

4. Imla

Imla Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I had my double for about 3 months (during winter, in Norway... very little diving) before doing my fundies with a Techpass. It is challenging, but absolutely possible if you actually do what the instructor tells you to without challenging them :D

5. Patoux01

Patoux01 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Funny, I tried a dpv on my last OW dive, and really found it to be meh at best.

6. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy Staff Member

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Possible for some, I suppose. I have had my doubles and drysuit for close to two years and been back for coaching sessions with instructors several times, but as of last weekend's session I wasn't performing quite at tech pass level yet. I'll be back at it tomorrow, as I have been doing a couple of times a month on average (50 hours logged so far). I guess some people are just naturals, and some aren't. For those of us who aren't, it's about patience, practice, and perseverance.

It feels to me like performing at tech level is to performing at rec level as a marathon is to a half marathon. What I mean is, training to run a full marathon is way more than twice as hard as training to run a half marathon. Just my perception.

elgoog likes this.
  7. LiteHedded

LiteHedded Great White

just practice. get buoyancy first before you start doing things. that's the biggest thing that gets people I think.
    they start fiddling with stuff before they sorted out their buoyancy and everything goes to hell

rjack321 and Ayisha like this.
  8. kensuf

kensuf Cave Instructor

And don't overthink it.

9. KeesBL

KeesBL DIR Practitioner

Hey, I think there's some really good advice in this thread. However, I didn't see anyone's names or contact info put out there. In case there are some readers out there that don't know who to talk to, I wanted to extend an offer.

I'm a GUE instructor, and if you're thinking about taking GUE Fundamentals but you're concerned about your experience, equipment, or anything else, please contact me! I am happy to talk over your concerns and answer your questions (free of course). Wherever you are in the world, however many dives you have, whatever weird time zone you live in, I will make it work.

Every GUE diver was in your shoes once.
    In the spirit of proving that, I've attached a photo from my open water course. We're all out there trying to explore and trying to get better... some of us have just had more time to work on it.

https://www.facebook.com/KeesBL/
    Kees@GUE.com

Attached Files:

elgoog, Ayisha, victorzamora and 6 others like this.
  10. compressor

compressor ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Hi KeesBL: Your link does not work. I get a "
    This page isn't available"

Thanks.