GUE recreational classes - early details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not understand making up a new deco gas to teach people to "recreationally" enter deco...when all your other teachings are based on standardized gas etc.

FWIW, i believe historically the 120 gas was 35%.

It's amazing how long discussion has developed around something that hasn't been published yet (and it won't be published before GUE conference I guess). And IMHO it has very low impact on people included in this discussion.

It is amazing that you took the time to read this thread, and post that.

Rob

In response to a question from Vie, Jarrod said he expects the cost of the OW program to be about $1000 (although instructors are free to set their own rates). It sounds horrible, but we sat down and calculated what we spent for OW, AOW, Nitrox and Rescue, and it was very close to that, for nowhere near the same caliber of instruction. The problem will be convincing people of that :)

In response to a question from Vie, Jarrod said he expects the cost of the OW program to be about $1000 (although instructors are free to set their own rates). It sounds horrible, but we sat down and calculated what we spent for OW, AOW, Nitrox and Rescue, and it was very close to that, for nowhere near the same caliber of instruction. The problem will be convincing people of that :)
When people do not balk at the time, the price is rarely an issue.

$1000 would be cheap for this course. Unfortunately, I think there will be many more expenses for essentials not covered by that $1000. Facilities, pool, gas....

Say I want to put a relative through this course: Air fare, lodging for 8 days, rental car and food would jack the actual expense to well over $3000. Lost wages will be a major hurdle for many to overcome.

It's going to be a tough course to sell.

$1000 would be cheap for this course. Unfortunately, I think there will be many more expenses for essentials not covered by that $1000. Facilities, pool, gas....

Say I want to put a relative through this course: Air fare, lodging for 8 days, rental car and food would jack the actual expense to well over $3000. Lost wages will be a major hurdle for many to overcome.

It's going to be a tough course to sell.

It is, but some people are willing to pay extra (time and money) for true quality - thats the exact market segment that GUE appeals to, and the same type of people who are willing to put in the time and effort to complete GUE training, and reap the benefits. Who knows how big of a seller it will be, thats not the only mark of success. Apple is only 6-8% market share but they lead the computer industry in many ways, watch GUE do the same to diving (TDI Intro To Tech?). Again thinking outside the box, offer quality and don't underestimate/condescend to your target market, and you may be suprised. It's worked for AAPL (compare that to MSFT).

Rob

It is, but some people are willing to pay extra (time and money) for true quality
True, but first you need to convince them that it is true quality.

So friends and relatives of Tech 1 and Cave 1 divers might get convinced, but Joe Smoe off the street....I seriously doubt it.

True, but first you need to convince them that it is true quality.

So friends and relatives of Tech 1 and Cave 1 divers might get convinced, but Joe Smoe off the street....I seriously doubt it.

Market share amomg the different agency's being what it is will keep it in a "niche" market. Small, but I'm sure GUE is O.K. with that.

Market share amomg the different agency's being what it is will keep it in a "niche" market. Small, but I'm sure GUE is O.K. with that.

I'm sure they are. But its a lot of work to certify < 50 people a yr.

I'm sure they are. But its a lot of work to certify < 50 people a yr.
I train less than 10 people a year in a course that's about twice as long as the proposed GUE course. I don't pretend to make a living at it, but I'll bet that I net more than most independent instructors do from their entry level programs and I have a great time doing it. For the GUE Instructor it should provide an added program that that will help keep them busy, bring a few bucks in, and turn out divers who are significantly more skilled than most that you see today. Bully for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom