GUE's stance on CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been trying to clarify something by reading all the RB80 FAQ, but I cant seem to find a simple answer. This is simply to satisfy my own curiosity.

Does GUE hold that CCR's are by their very nature dangerous, or simply that current implementations and designs are flawed? If Halcyon and GUE worked together to create a new CCR, would it be a case of changing their stance, or simply a case of engineering out existing design issue?

Thanks!

I am not a RB diver, but I can't sleep and will chime in anyway. An instructor with agency qualifications to instruct on most all commercially available RB units is best qualified to answer your questions IMO. I would be interested when the last RB80 Unit was manufactured...

To the best of my understanding, GUE's stance on CCRs is that the current technology isn't quite 'there' just yet. The RB80 fills the need (and need is an interesting thing to think about) for deep/ long dives, and OC fills the rest. I know some top brass in GUE is experimenting with CCRs, and they probably will be a component of the future, but not just yet.

Scott, I know of quite a few guys who just got brand new Halcyon RB80s. I've seen them on the assembly line in the not too distant past.

To the best of my understanding, GUE's stance on CCRs is that the current technology isn't quite 'there' just yet. The RB80 fills the need (and need is an interesting thing to think about) for deep/ long dives, and OC fills the rest. I know some top brass in GUE is experimenting with CCRs, and they probably will be a component of the future, but not just yet.

Scott, I know of quite a few guys who just got brand new Halcyon RB80s. I've seen them on the assembly line in the not too distant past.

Thanks, just what I was trying to determine.

I've been trying to clarify something by reading all the RB80 FAQ, but I cant seem to find a simple answer. This is simply to satisfy my own curiosity.

Does GUE hold that CCR's are by their very nature dangerous, or simply that current implementations and designs are flawed? If Halcyon and GUE worked together to create a new CCR, would it be a case of changing their stance, or simply a case of engineering out existing design issue?

Thanks!

the interview JJ did with michael menduno goes into his thoughts on rebreathers in some depth:

Marketing Rebreathers | Diver Magazine

I know that top GUE people use them regularly on exploration level dives that push the limits. These dives would have been difficult to do on OC.

I have read statements from GUE leadership that CCR should be used when it is the right tool for the job, not for dives that are reasonably practical on OC.

They recognize the increased risk, and consider it something that only the most advanced divers should even consider.

Of course any policy can only be based on current technology. Your question is a little bit like the chicken and egg question. But for an organization that has an adversion to dive computers, depending upon electronic automation does seem to be a stretch. Each decision that the diver hands off to a machine is a decision that he/she did not take part in.

"recreational rebreather" is not even in the vocabulary.

---------- Post Merged at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:25 AM ----------

the interview JJ did with michael menduno goes into his thoughts on rebreathers in some depth:

Excellent article. Thanks Lamont.

Its important to note that the RB80 isn't a CCR, its a SCR. The RB80 is routinely used on long/deep dives buy GUE divers.

I think a lot of people are quick to jump at the idea of a CCR when OC remains completely practical for their dives. You can get a LOT done on OC (including deep/ long cave dives).

Thanks for the link. Very interesting overview, and positive about GUE being open to that CCR buz, with caution of course. A little extreme comparison with the housing market and fancy mortgages, first i thought he really exagerated, but eventually it's true both could be toxic for people who arent careful...

I am not a RB diver, but I can't sleep and will chime in anyway. An instructor with agency qualifications to instruct on most all commercially available RB units is best qualified to answer your questions IMO. I would be interested when the last RB80 Unit was manufactured...

Scott,

I'm building one now.

Its important to note that the RB80 isn't a CCR, its a SCR. The RB80 is routinely used on long/deep dives buy GUE divers.

I think a lot of people are quick to jump at the idea of a CCR when OC remains completely practical for their dives. You can get a LOT done on OC (including deep/ long cave dives).
pucker factor is pretty high though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom