Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The top of the black square is 600psi allegedly.

600 psi is clearly marked, well above the black square. Without taking calipers to the picture, I'd guess the top of the black square is 300 psi, or less.

As low as that looks, he's already pulled his J Valve and has been on Reserve for a while now.

As low as that looks, he's already pulled his J Valve and has been on Reserve for a while now.
Let SPG go to (near) zero. Then pull the rod. SPG will then show approx 250-500 psig, depending.

ETA: At least, I think this is what happens with all J valves. About to test my newest J valve (which I received earlier this week from The Scuba Museum), a knob-on-the-top U.S. Divers model that is older than my other two J valves.

rx7diver

Let SPG go to (near) zero. Then pull the rod. SPG will then show approx 250-500 psig, depending.

ETA: At least, I think this is what happens with all J valves. About to test my newest J valve (which I received earlier this week from The Scuba Museum), a knob-on-the-top U.S. Divers model that is older than my other two J valves.

rx7diver
Duh! Brain fade! I suppose this is obvious--since the SPG "sees" the pressure that the 1st stage "sees."

At any rate, I just unpacked my "new" J-valve, mounted it on a spare cylinder, and tested it to confirm it. This one shows ~250 psig when the J-valve is pulled.

P.S.: And I was reminded that a Poseidon Odin absolutely will drain the remaining air from your cylinder if you let the pressure get too low!

rx7diver

...a knob-on-the-top U.S. Divers model that is older than my other two J valves.

We called them post, or pillar, valves, however it may have been local usage back in the day. All the ones I've seen are the old 1/2" pipe thread.

52411556798_1c3190bdea_b.jpg

__57.jpg

Yup, that's how a J Valve is supposed to work. I like J valves on my tanks. I never plan on clicking it to Reserve but it's nice to have. It's wonderful to hear that hiss of pressure flooding into your system when you pull the rod. We trained pretty extensively on them back in the early 70's. SPG's were not around so we had to depend on the J Valve. We trained so hard to check that the metal rod was UP, that we all walked around for six months waving our left hands behind our butts like we were waving away stinkers. I still remember the Instructors: "You WILL check that valve at least every ten minutes. If you don't check it, you will FAIL the exercise. You will NOT get extra credit for checking it more often but it MIGHT save your life".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom