Guess who's hat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cards90:
Is it in the Galley?

I do not believe there to be a galley on this boat. It was used as a car ferry from Kingston over to Wolfe Island.

PatH:
Nice shot of the engine room! Love the green knobs... I'm not sure I ever noticed their colour before. Hey... did the fire hydrant fall off the bench?

I am not sure of about the fire hydrant. Someone had cleared all the zebra's off to one side and the hydrant was sitting where we found it. The zebra mussels on the port side of the salon look to be over 12inches deep.

I was surprised by all the colour down there as well. It is almost like I was diving the site for the first time. Everything appeared so new.

Scuba_Steve:
Damn those are nice pics.

Dialled in:- Getting the settings of the camera and the lights fine tuned to the point that they compliment each other. I found it took a fair bit of time to adjust the focus and spread of the flood lights to a point that they do not add to the back scatter. On this dive there was allot of particulate in the water, yet I did not pick up much at all on the pictures. For me that is very successful.

To give you an idea of how bad it was: If you take another look at the first picture in Toms post, that is the amount of particulate throughout the wreck. Yet most of the shoots came clean. I believe this result was from having the lights set up correctly.

Good job those are some really nice pics... Hope i get to dive it this year

Thanks JamesP.

Not to get into a photo lesson here, but I always do video vs stills, so there's not much in the way of "controls" for me to fiddle with, with the exception of lighting. Using two lamps, what's the "standard/generic" answer for backscatter elimination? IE lights in same horizontal plane, aiming at slightly different "spots" in front etc????

Again, absolutely brilliant pics.

Steve

Scuba_Steve:
Using two lamps, what's the "standard/generic" answer for backscatter elimination? IE lights in same horizontal plane, aiming at slightly different "spots" in front etc????

As far off center (to the side or above makes little difference) as possible. Picture yourself in front of a mirror. If you held a light beside your head, shone it at the mirror and look directly at the mirror, you'll have the light reflected into your eyes. Now hold the light a foot away from your head, but direct it to the same point on the mirror. Less light is visible. Hold it 2 feet away aimed at the same point and you might not even be able to tell it's turned on (depends how focused the beam is).
However, the farther off center the lights the more critical is the aim point. In line with the camera, what the camera see's the light shines on. When it's crossing at an angle, if you aim the lights to hit an object 5 feet in front of the lens, then the light beam will pass in front of an object 10 feet away.
Thus there is no "magic" or ideal distance. You have to balance the amount of backscatter against the desired shooting distance.

Groundhog246:
As far off center (to the side or above makes little difference) as possible. Picture yourself in front of a mirror. If you held a light beside your head, shone it at the mirror and look directly at the mirror, you'll have the light reflected into your eyes. Now hold the light a foot away from your head, but direct it to the same point on the mirror. Less light is visible. Hold it 2 feet away aimed at the same point and you might not even be able to tell it's turned on (depends how focused the beam is).
However, the farther off center the lights the more critical is the aim point. In line with the camera, what the camera see's the light shines on. When it's crossing at an angle, if you aim the lights to hit an object 5 feet in front of the lens, then the light beam will pass in front of an object 10 feet away.
Thus there is no "magic" or ideal distance. You have to balance the amount of backscatter against the desired shooting distance.

So the synopsis is.........shoot lots of film...... :)

Thanks G/Hog.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom