Guide to Mares regulators from 2000-2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure when they introduced this guy, but if it was on the Mares site last year I must have missed it. The ad copy on the Mares website claims:

"The 62X is the smallest first stage in the diving market, coming in at a mere 63mm in height and weighing only 464g (DIN). This small-but-mighty first stage is 10% smaller and lighter than its 52X predecessor, with 30% less volume, yet still boasts all of Mares regulators' innovative features!"

I would be interested in an exploded diagram with parts list of this reg to compare with others in the mares lineup. I am wondering if the insides use the same as their other diaphragm 1st stages or if this reg is the answer to a surplus of parts they had lying around from their discontinued MR42 1st stage.
-Z
I am considering buying the dual adj 62x. My future plans may include going tech (50m at the most) and I need the 2nd HP port for the Air transmitter. Is this model something you would recommend?

Per my previous post, I don't know enough about the 62X to really comment. The fact that they are claiming smaller size and weight makes me skeptical about the internal design because a bunch of years ago they had similar ad-copy/marketing regarding the V42/MR42....there was nothing inherently wrong with the 42 other than they made some of the internal parts smaller to fit in the smaller internal cavity of the first stage. Many of the parts in Mares first stages are shared across models but not so much with the 42. I would be concerned with the same being true for the 62X and the exploded diagrams and parts lists are not publicly available so I have no way of checking.

My recommendation if you are going to get into tech diving and your plans include specifically buying a Mares regulator then I would either recommend the 28XR which is Mares' answer to the rotating turret design market...it even has a 5th LP port.

That being said, all the current Mares balanced diaphragm 1st stages should work for any of your diving needs. To my knowledge all the Mares 1st stages on the market have at least 2 HP ports with the exception of the 2S which is an unbalanced piston which only has 1 HP port (and 4 LP ports), and the 25XR which is sold as a pair of first stages where one is for the left post and the other for the right post of doubles setup. The 25XR first stages each have 1 HP port and only 2 LP ports which make them a poor choice for single tank diving and in my opinion a poor choice for purchase period as one is pretty much limited to diving a doubles setup (backmount or sidemount) with the 25XR .

I am sorry I can't give you any further recommendation for or against the 62X but I hope the info I have provided helps.

-Z

My recommendation if you are going to get into tech diving and your plans include specifically buying a Mares regulator then I would either recommend the 28XR which is Mares' answer to the rotating turret design market...it even has a 5th LP port.

That being said, all the current Mares balanced diaphragm 1st stages should work for any of your diving needs. To my knowledge all the Mares 1st stages on the market have at least 2 HP ports with the exception of the 2S which is an unbalanced piston which only has 1 HP port (and 4 LP ports), and the 25XR which is sold as a pair of first stages where one is for the left post and the other for the right post of doubles setup. The 25XR first stages each have 1 HP port and only 2 LP ports which make them a poor choice for single tank diving and in my opinion a poor choice for purchase period as one is pretty much limited to diving a doubles setup (backmount or sidemount) with the 25XR .

I am sorry I can't give you any further recommendation for or against the 62X but I hope the info I have provided helps.

-Z

Thank you for your valuable insights. 28xr looks like a good option. Possibly when I need more regs for stage bottles I will consider it. Good to learn of and have options on the mental horizon at least.
I decided to go local and buy whatever’s available at a reasonable price from a local Mares dealer rather than ship international. I don’t think the 25xr is available but the seller is also a tech diver and he says for deep open water the 62x 1st stage can be re-positioned differently on the cylinders. Not sure how that works as I am yet to learn tech., but I’ll go with him for now.

Per my previous post, I don't know enough about the 62X to really comment. The fact that they are claiming smaller size and weight makes me skeptical about the internal design because a bunch of years ago they had similar ad-copy/marketing regarding the V42/MR42....there was nothing inherently wrong with the 42 other than they made some of the internal parts smaller to fit in the smaller internal cavity of the first stage. Many of the parts in Mares first stages are shared across models but not so much with the 42. I would be concerned with the same being true for the 62X and the exploded diagrams and parts lists are not publicly available so I have no way of checking.

-Z
On it.

-Z
Hi Any idea what model this one is?

Attachments

• 16702078541955823496349518681731.jpg
    16702078541955823496349518681731.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 43
Hi Any idea what model this one is?
It's an MR12 with coldwater kit (CWD).

Specifically, it's an MR12ST with Mares' intermediate type of CWD that has a dry ambient chamber and uses the traditional second diaphragm to seal off the chamber. Their earlier CWDs also had a second diaphragm but the ambient chamber had to be filled with silicone oil. The latest TBP (Twin Balanced Piston) CWD kit uses a dual piston setup to transmit ambient pressure and seal off the pressurized section of the stage. I don't believe they make a TBP version for the 12.

Specifically, it's an MR12ST with Mares' intermediate type of CWD that has a dry ambient chamber and uses the traditional second diaphragm to seal off the chamber. Their earlier CWDs also had a second diaphragm but the ambient chamber had to be filled with silicone oil. The latest TBP (Twin Balanced Piston) CWD kit uses a dual piston setup to transmit ambient pressure and seal off the pressurized section of the stage. I don't believe they make a TBP version for the 12.
Production of the MR12 ceased well before Mares implemented the TBP CWD in their diaphragm 1st stage lineup.

-Z

Hello , The MR12 111 and the voltrex abyss etc line of metal regs ..Is the only difference the exhaust valve is larger on the voltrex etc.?? Burnt out Captain/Instructor been out of this for 15? years and looking to get wet again .. I have used the MR12 111 all my diving carrier and still have 1 working great ..With a sherwood 3200 first stage ..stone dependable and simple ..Thinking of maybe looking for a Voltrex etc if the only difference is the bigger exhaust valve Thanks for reading this to long question ..Don J

Hello , The MR12 111 and the voltrex abyss etc line of metal regs ..Is the only difference the exhaust valve is larger on the voltrex etc.?? Burnt out Captain/Instructor been out of this for 15? years and looking to get wet again .. I have used the MR12 111 all my diving carrier and still have 1 working great ..With a sherwood 3200 first stage ..stone dependable and simple ..Thinking of maybe looking for a Voltrex etc if the only difference is the bigger exhaust valve Thanks for reading this to long question ..Don J
I've never seen a III second stage in person, but looking at the schematics, the larger exhaust valve is the main but not the only difference. For example they use a different diaphragm. I'll attach the '98/'99 service manual. The Ruby/Abyss/Voltrex schematic is on page 58 and the III is on 86.

If you can find a post-2008 Abyss second, it's a little easier to work on because they added a port opposite the lever lock screw to make it easier to adjust.

Attachments

• sm1998.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 126
I've never seen a III second stage in person, but looking at the schematics, the larger exhaust valve is the main but not the only difference. For example they use a different diaphragm. I'll attach the '98/'99 service manual. The Ruby/Abyss/Voltrex schematic is on page 58 and the III is on 86.

If you can find a post-2008 Abyss second, it's a little easier to work on because they added a port opposite the lever lock screw to make it easier to adjust.

Thank you for the reply and the heads up on the different parts .. I got my old one MR12 III together and it still breathes great .. If the Voltrex-ruby etc. model breathes as well and just the exhaust is "better" I'm gonna look for a used 1 and try it .. I used the MR12 III for years as a divemaster ..pulling the float ..drift diving Palm Beach for years ... Worked in a Scubapro shop ..tried all theirs and always went back to the MR12 .. the way it's designed with the vortex tube feeding you makes it easy to "sip" the air .. I have used more "natural" breathing regs and like the MR12 better ..stone dependable to ..not a bunch of touchy free flows etc .. The Mares First stage had problems as all the diaphram regs did back then ...blowing H.P. seats ... I switched to a Sherwood first stage and never looked back ..simple dependable and worked great ... I got the old setup together ..Had to use a different sherwood first stage and did a couple "sketchy" things ..still it has 145 I.P. been on a tank for hours and cycled 100's of times ..still ..I' gonna look for some new parts for it ..i als have a MK20 scubapro all apart ..It was sorta corroded ..sitting 15? years .."maybe?" I will us it .. Sorry this is so long ..Like to find an old Voltrex to try ..Don J..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom