Guidebook recommendations for Photoshop/Lightroom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just got Photoshop and Lightroom from someone I met traveling, Photoshop unfortunately being in Spanish, which I don't speak (but hey it was free!). I wanted to see if someone can recommend a good "how to" type book to purchase...have been to the bookstore and looks like there are quite a few. Thanks!

It's always tough starting from scratch with programs like photoshop. Lightroom is much simpler. I have bought books over the years but 99% of what I have learned has been from hours working in the program.

If you have a particular thing you are trying to accomplish, there are a zillion online tutorials these days. There are even start to finish ones....do a search and have a look around.

Good luck with the spanish photoshop though....

thanks Beauty. Have played around with Lightroom a bit so have learned some of its capabilities, but would like something that takes me through all the functions so I can understand all that it can do. I've noted there are many books that do this, was just hoping someone with experience might be able to point out one they favored

I bought one when I got lightroom 1 and it's in a box somewhere in the states so I can't tell you who wrote it. I remember I got about halfway through it, which would mean it was a good book of that sorts for me.
I think you can just pick one at this point and start reading. If it's on the shelf at a good bookstore it is going to be fine I would imagine.
What version was your "gift"?

try any of the books by Scott Kelby. They are written in a very basic, easy to follow form. You may also want to check out an organization called NAPP. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips « Online Photoshop Lightroom Tutorials and Tips with Matt Kloskowski Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips
Learn Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Digital Photography | NAPP (NAPP web site)

All in all though, just use the program. The way lightroom works it's literally impossible for you to ruin any of your photos as the program does not actually make any changes to the image files. It updates parameters in a database which in turn then makes changes to the way the image is displayed in the program. So no matter what you do, you've always got the ability to click the "reset" button and start from scratch.

I would not recommend the Kelby books but rather the Martin Evening books if you are technically inclined. Best bet though is Adobe TV.
Bill

We understand your frustration with learning new editing programs so we have designed several DVD Tutorials on the subjects as well as a subscription site that allows you access to all the DVDs including Lightroom, Photoshop, Elements and all aspects of Underwater Photography. We offer free samples too. Take a look see Underwater Photo Tutorials, Online Education for the Underwater Photographer

Jack and Sue

I tried the Drafahl Lightroom tutorial and was completely lost because 'they' assume prior knowledge and I had none and so was completely lost.
I even contacted the Drafahl system with my concerns and was ignored. . .
Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom