Gulf coast shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My new dive buddy (my newly certed daughter) and myself will be coming to the gulf coast between Sarasota and Cape Coral early January and would like to know what there is for shore diving. Her being new to diving and all I thought that would be best if there is some decent shore dives. Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Tony

In January, the gulf water temps will be in the low 60s. Are you planning on bringing drysuits? If you're willing to brave the cool temps, and low vis, you can hunt for teeth off of Venice beach. you can find everything from Megladon teeth to mastodon bones. Due to the prevailing wind patterns, winter visibility tends to be limited. Like to 0'-5', but sometimes you can catch a good day and get 10'. I enjoy diving this area, but January is just the wrong time, unless you're comfortable in these conditions. Not a real sales pitch for a new diver, I'm afraid. If you are still interested, I could maybe join you, but I'll be diving dry :).

Your best bet is to zip over to Pompano or Lauderdale, which is about 2 1/2 hours away. Blue Heron Bridge is a shore dive that is a day trip from this area (Long day, but I've done it a couple of times).

The springs are 72F year round. In the summer they feel chilly but in the winter they feel like bath water and you don't want to get out. Most of the springs are going to be about a two hour or more trip. If you have interest in some spring diving there are plenty to recommend.

Nothing is cast in stone at this point. How about shore dives between Vero Beach and West Palm Beach in the Atlantic?

The visibility is usually better on the Atlantic side of the state but there are days of poor visibility there too. I suppose the biggest question is what temperature are you comfortable diving in? The water in January won't be all that much warmer than the gulf. What type of thermal protection were you going to use, dry suit, semi-dry, 7mm?

There is no doubt that the colder temps usually bring better visibility to boat dive sites in the Gulf but the shore dives are more subject to tide, currents and wind direction more than anything else.

I dive 33-38*F water all winter in a drysuit. Spring temps 58-60+ in a 5mm wetsuit. That being said 60-65* will be not too bad. That's 5mm wetsuit for me and my daughter. I'll look into the springs also based on the recommendations here.

The springs are 72F year round. In the summer they feel chilly but in the winter they feel like bath water and you don't want to get out. Most of the springs are going to be about a two hour or more trip. If you have interest in some spring diving there are plenty to recommend.

I'm smack dab in the middle of the area he referenced, and the springs are more like 4+ hours away.

From Sarasota the springs are a quick trip up I-75 for the most part.

Weeki Wachiee is 1h 50min from the center of Sarasota.

KP Hole Park on Rainbow River is 2h 33min

Blue Grotto is 2h 45min

Devils Den is 2h 40min.

Ginnie Springs is 3 hours

Ocala is about equal distance from Sarasota as Vero Beach and Palm Beach. If it were me and I didn't mind the cold water I would do the Atlantic cost dives. There are springs that are further north than Ocala like Ginnie Springs but this is Florida, there is diving pretty much any direction you drive!

Are the waters at he southern tip of FL and the keys much warmer? We can stay any where that there is a hotel or cottage. We be a couple of traveling fools!!!:D I wouldn't mind a fall trip , however my sidekick has obligations , hence the early Jan trip.

Yes, the other side of the state, and keys are much warmer that time of year and much better visibility.

Are the waters at he southern tip of FL and the keys much warmer? We can stay any where that there is a hotel or cottage. We be a couple of traveling fools!!!:D I wouldn't mind a fall trip , however my sidekick has obligations , hence the early Jan trip.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom