Hacking YS60 strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a YS 60 strobe but since its not a slave and my Oly housing has no bulkhead for a cable I am in need of another way to trigger it.

I found by using a IR photo diode ( looks like a clear 5mm LED) placed on two of the strobe cables pins it would trigger with and sudden change in light. In other words it has become a slave.
With the locator tab at the top the two pins to use are the right hand two.

I have googled but I cant find any info on what each pin does. Can anyone help? I have both 4 pin and 5 pin Sea and Sea cables/ strobes.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2013 at 10:18 PM ----------

OK, I found this... TTL flash connections - Cameras Underwater Ltd

If I am to understand correctly, grounding the X will fire the strobe. Grounding the Q after will quench the strobe, or stop it.
So by grounding X and leaving Q alone then the strobe will do a full dump ( or what ever level it is set at).
But by grounding X and then grounding Q you could control the level of the strobe.

Anyone what the time frame for a full dump vs 1/4 or 1/2?

Mission complete.

I machined up a piece of acrylic rod. In one end it accepts a standard Sea & Sea 4 pin or 5 pin plug and the other takes Nikonos plug since I only have one of each cable.

I used a IR photo diode as the pick up.

The result is very good. I can set my camera to 1/64th flash power and both off board strobes trigger every time (if charged).

The pick up is cable tied to a piece of velcro that goes around the lens port.

Found this old thread and am adding some additional info. Maybe useful. Or not. I have enough analog electrical knowledge to be classified as "dangerous".

I tried this concept with a ys50 strobe that I found in the back of a closet. FAILURE. Mostly.

Info:
The two pins on the right of a S&S connector are - (top one) and X (bottom one). - is ground for the strobe. The YS50 strobe supplies a 4 volt signal on the X pin when it is charged and ready to fire. Shorting the X pin to the - pin will cause the strobe to fire. Always!

So the strobe fires when the X contact is dragged down to ground by shorting the 2 pins with a solid conductor.

I picked up a few generic photodiodes from a local electrical hobby supply store and end up with a total failure when trying to trigger the strobe via a camera flash. 3 different unknown photo diodes all produced no flashes.

I then attached a multimeter across the diode wires and observed that the voltage did fall when a light was seen by the photodiode. Encouraged by this factoid I was able to trigger a strobe flash by shining my EDGE Morph dive light directly into the diode. Shining from the side reduced the voltage, but did not produce a strobe flash.

I was NOT able to trigger a strobe flash via a real camera flash. I tried 4 different brands of cameras. Based upon the multimeter readings the camera flashes appeared to be too short to trigger the strobe. The voltage dropped, but not much.

I also noted that a different generic photodiode would not trigger the flash using the EDGE. The voltage dropped to "zero", but no flash resulted.

My current claim is that the random photodiodes I have do not react fast enough to trigger the strobe flash.

My next step will be to pop in some kind of resistor ladder in a feeble attempt to lower the normal steady state voltage to be much closer to ground. this may offset the "slow" response time. Or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom