Had my first ocean dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LupitaM, I was lurking in your other thread waiting for you to post saying that you'd got your certification. I'm really disappointed to hear that your first experience in the ocean went so badly.

There's no point doing something if you don't enjoy it, but I'd urge you to think carefully before letting one bad experience put you off completely.

I agree with what all the others have said:

I don't think it was right that your instructor shouted at you. If you were in imminent danger, they should've at least spoken to you about it afterwards. It might be a good idea to look for a new instructor.

I don't know the area, but are there perhaps some easier dive sites for first-time divers? As someone suggested, boat dives can be easier (less fighting with surf). And, then, the other suggestion was to try a trip to a warmer location, which might be a good last resort.

I certainly agree with having respect for the ocean (ask any diver, surfer, fisherman), but there's usually no reason to be outright scared of it. Perhaps you can go snorkelling with a buddy or just swimming or playing in the surf to get yourself more used to the ocean? Of course, you want to make sure you do that safely too.

And, if conditions were bad today (as far as your area's standards go), perhaps the answer is just to refuse to dive until they're better (even if they're safe and OK but other people's standards). I decided that after my buddy bailed out of an AOW dive. The other divers that day were comfortable with the terrible visibility, but didn't really have much fun. So, I've just decided that if I see the water looking that green again, my buddy and I will find another site (or another activity altogether).

Also, if your ears are still hurting, a trip to the doctor would be a good idea. If they're not, you're probably OK, but having them checked out might be a good idea. My understanding, though, is trouble equalising is really common with beginners. I had trouble, had mine checked out by a doctor, was told there was nothing wrong. And then realised when I tried again that when the instructor said 'equalise early and equalise often' they meant EARLY and OFTEN. If it's got to the point of hurting, it doesn't really work after that. You need to do it long before.

Anyway. I really hope this is just a temporary setback for you. Good luck!

i think it would have also been easier if we would have put the fins on then walked backwards into the ocean. instead we walked about 3 feet in and had to put them on and that was so hard. i wasnt able to do it and my buddy had to help. but i guess with practice then id be able to do it that way right?

The procedure I've been taught (I'm a newbie too, so take anything I say with a pinch of salt) is to wade out past the surf into the swell before putting fins on (it's still shallow enough to stand where I dive). I've done six or seven dives in surf (yes, still early days) and my buddy and I still aren't able to do it unassisted. We just take turns to hold onto each others tank valves to keep them stable enough to get their fins on.

It sounds to me like you need another instructor. I don't think scuba diving is really difficult, but it's impossible if you're not comfortable. And no-one can feel comfortable when they feel rushed and pressured.

he did talk to me and told me he yelled because i froze.

i called the shop and i decided to just wait a little while before i go out there again. i did say that if i go out there again id want a different instuctor. they did ask why and i told him that my instructor isnt very patient.

:( i hope ill get this down someday

I understand your fear. I ruptured my ear drum scuba diving off of Virginia. As a result, I did not ocean dive for 10 years after the accident. But, I my love for shipwrecks drew me to Cape Hatteras 2 years ago. I jumped off the boat and had immediate flashbacks. The crew of the Flying Fish helped encourage me to give it another shot. Captain Johnny dove with me, and after that ocean diving is not scary any more.

It is always good to know your limits and respect the ocean. But, as others have said, with a little encouragement and the right people, you too will enjoy the best our hobby has to offer. Good luck and I wish you all the best.

i called the shop and i decided to just wait a little while before i go out there again. i did say that if i go out there again id want a different instuctor. they did ask why and i told him that my instructor isnt very patient.

I'm sure you will and that a more patient instructor would help. I had to do a few extra pool sessions because I just couldn't get clearing my mask right. I panicked every time I tried. I was nearly ready to give it up, but my instructor was patient and encouraging, which really helped. The dive shop had a policy of paying a fixed amount for the OW course and taking as much time as you needed, no extra charge. It wasn't just an empty promise, they actually encouraged me to do more pool sessions and didn't try to rush me at all.

Waiting's probably not a bad idea. Maybe try go back into the pool with another instructor too (if you can afford to)? That way, you can remember that you do feel comfortable underwater. And you can be sure of all the skills you learnt, so you know that the only new thing to deal with is the ocean.

.............I jumped off the boat and had immediate flashbacks. The crew of the Flying Fish helped encourage me to give it another shot. Captain Johnny dove with me, and after that ocean diving is not scary any more...............

I, too, dive with people that love the ocean so much that they have time to help others appreciate what is before them.

..........:( i hope ill get this down someday

You will. You live in Monterey. Just drive out there an sit until the ocean speaks to you. Now for the hard part, find an instructor that can answer...

I'm sorry, but maybe he was right in this case. Maybe you froze and he had to get your attention. My instructor was a pretty good one and patient, but he had to yell at me and my then class buddy several times because we weren't paying attention to him or listen to his instructions.

That's your call to make, but be sure that your instructor wasn't truly patient with you. Instructors have to carry some heavy responsibilities and if they think that you're endangering yourself or not paying attention to them while in open water environment, they may have to be unpleasant.

i think it would have also been easier if we would have put the fins on then walked backwards into the ocean. instead we walked about 3 feet in and had to put them on and that was so hard. i wasnt able to do it and my buddy had to help. but i guess with practice then id be able to do it that way right?

Doing that has advantages and disadvantages. Sure, you don't have to struggle with your fins in the water and the surf, but it's pretty tough to walk backward with all the stuff on you AND with mickey mouse feet.

Personally that's how I do my shore dive. Put on fins and walk backward into the water. Others prefer to go past the surf line and put the fins on.

And yes, with practice, you can put the fins on when you go past the surf line. I can do it now, but I still like to put my fins on and walk into the water backward.

Back
Top Bottom