Haigh Quarry - Aug 8th or 9th 2009 - Who is diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheScubaBOB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello fellow SBers...

I'll be at Haigh on Saturday (Aug 8th) to do Deep Dives 3 & 4 to complete the PADI Deep Diver Specialty. I plan to arrive around 9:30am (Instructor isn't as early a diver as I am).

Is anyone else I know diving Haigh this weekend?

Hello fellow SBers...

I'll be at Haigh on Saturday (Aug 8th) to do Deep Dives 3 & 4 to complete the PADI Deep Diver Specialty. I plan to arrive around 9:30am (Instructor isn't as early a diver as I am).

Is anyone else I know diving Haigh this weekend?

Good luck on your Deep Dives 3 and 4. I cant make it Saturday or Sunday. I was there last Sunday got 3 wounderful dives in.
BTW Kathy our Wreck Instructor call you yet ? Left me a message last night . Bob dont forget to call me were car pooling the 16th remember .

I'll be rockin' out in Chicago at the Jimmy Buffett concert that weekend so no diving for me! I'll be drinking margaritas and chomping down on cheeseburgers in paradise! :cool:

Have fun! One of these days I'll be able to join in the diving fun!

Well, I had 3 good dives at Haigh with my Instructor (Jim @ Sea Level Diving) & Mike (DMC).

I needed my Pony Bottle for Deep Dive #3, plan was to switch to the pony before starting the ascent, hold an 8 minute Emergency Deco Stop (extended safety stop) at 15 ft and surface on the Pony Bottle.

In preparation for completing my Wreck Diver Certification next weekend I flipped my back mounted Pony (upside down so I can operated the valve while U/W. After gearing up I learned that I need to order a longer LP hose for the Pony Regulator. While it reached I had to keep my head turned to the right and look down slightly!

Also On Deep Dive #3 I had to do the Nav out & back (we weren't able to do it during Deep Dive #2 due to impossible Vis & bottom conditions at Pearl Lake). I figured I'd try with my Dive Computer's (Vyper Air) built-in compass even though I've had mixed luck with it before. Well it worked for me on this day!

For Deep Dive #4 I was tasked to lead us down to the Deep Platform. We took a compass heading at the surface & dropped down, following the profile & my compass I got us directly to the platform. After that Mike navigated us to the Truck. I finally got to the the "duece and a half" marine corps dump truck!

We ended up with a long surface swim back to the south dock (from near the truck, Ask DMC Mike why) so I figured it would be a good chance to test the National Geographic Nautilus travel snorkel I just got. So I dug it out of my pocket only to discover that it's impossible to clip it on your mask strap (figured I'll just leave it on the mask strap as the snorkel could just slide into the snorkel holder). BTW, the snorkel is negatively buoyant just in case anyone is wondering. So I lean forward to begin snorkel swimming and take a big breath of water, apparently this one came with a third hole! Guess I'll be calling to see if I can get a replacement that isn't pre-broken.

So I'm now PADI Deep Diver Certified! Woot!!

Afterwards we did a fun dive. We dropped down on the Flamingo and Mike was supposed to nav us to the LARC but he missed. We ended-up at the tricycle park so we ascended to about 25 ft and swam south on the east wall around to the south dock. It was a nice leisurely cruise and we saw some interesting fish.

Overall the vis wasn't that great for Haigh, must be due to the recent rain, but it was still a good day diving.

Now my states are:

57 Logged Dives.

1 Day, 4 Hours & 38 Minutes of Bottom Time.

Longest Dive: 57 Minutes

Deepest Dive: 130 ft

Average Dive Time: 30.1 Minutes

Average Max Depth: 44 ft

Number of Certifications:

Diver Level: 3 (OW, AOW, RD)

Specialty: 4 (Nitrox, Equipment, PPD, Deep)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom