Hair woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefly

Contributor
Reaction score
Just a question, :cool: I have long hair and have alot of trouble finding a good way to do it when I have to wear a hood, a braid gets stuck and I lose neck movement once the hood is on, a ponytail is bulky :tails: , free flow gets in the way:gorgeous:...has anyone found a good way to keep it out of the way and comfortable?:amadala: :goofy:...

I have long hair as well and I understand you pain. I put my hair into a very low ponytail and then keep putting holders in for ever 3-4 inches this keeps it all together and helps with the bulkyness by putting the ponytail so low, good luck and if you find a better way let me know :)
- A J

Hey firefly --

You might try doing a search -- I know there has been a lot written about this subject, so you might find the archives helpful.

I have to agree with AJ, the best way I've found is a low pony tail with extra elastics placed every 1 - 2 inches. I also use a neoprene strap cover for my mask strap and a neoprene snorkle keep to attached my snorkle to my mask.

After diving, I shampoo and use a LOT of conditioner.

Happy diving.

Liz

Finally a thread about hair!!
Mine is really long too and I always have problems with it.
I either have it braided or in a pony tail or low bun. My biggest problem though, is the little strands of hair that come out of the pony tail and end up flying in my face. I have tried to use little clips and bobby pins to hold it down, but so far nothing has worked. If somebody knows what would work, let me know!!:eek:ut: :eek:ut:

I know it sounds dorky and I have heard more than a few Pippy Longstocking comments but I find pigtail braids where the braid starts low near the top of my neck to be the most comfortable. My hair is relatively all one length so the braids trap the hair better than a regular ponytail would.

Another good technique is to wear a neoprene beany over any hair because it keeps the mask strap from pulling out loose stragglers.

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

The low pony tail works the best for me too. But.. instead of using a rubber band type holder, I use on flat barrett to hold the pony tail. I have never lost one, and it works great!

Wow, lots of ideas, my main problem though is I usually have to wear a 7mm hood, it is colder up here :cold: and if the hair lies on my neck it gets trapped under the hood and then there is no way to move my neck, I thought about wearing a swim cap under my hood, but I wanted to see if there was an easier way.....when it is warm :niceday: enough to lose the hood I usually wear it in a french braid, I find the neoprene mask strap is much better as it has no clips to get caught in my hair. At least the freshwater isn't as hard on hair as salt.....:droplet: :scuba:

I realize that this is a "women's only" board, but as the father of two 12yo girls who dive with me I figured I could provide a point of view.

My girls have long fine hair and not only dive but swim competetively. They have found that putting their hair in a SILICONE swim cap (not rubber), their hair is better protected (not as much pulling and fraying) and then they can get their 7mm hoods on and off easier (we dive cool and cold water here in PA). It also helps to keep the straggler hairs away from the mask skirt.

Some hair does hang out from behind sometimes but the majority gets protected from being pulled by the neoprene.

Hope this is helpful.

I tried everything to control it. The best thing for me was a dew rag (I think thats what it's called.) Its a lycra cap. I tuck all the hair in there & look like an idiot. But hey, I'm diving - not looking to be Miss America.
I have also read many, many positive comments about Dee Rags (Dee is on the boards) but I have not tried them personally.

Kat once bubbled...
I tried everything to control it. The best thing for me was a dew rag (I think thats what it's called.) Its a lycra cap. I tuck all the hair in there & look like an idiot. But hey, I'm diving - not looking to be Miss America.
I have also read many, many positive comments about Dee Rags (Dee is on the boards) but I have not tried them personally.

The doo-rags that I make are made of 100% cotton and does not stretch like the lycra caps do. But they way they fit and are tied in the back, your long hair can be confined inside. The cotton doesn't pull your hair and cause breaking like some of the synthetics do. You can find them at the link in my signature if you're interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom