Halcyon Helios Canister and ACB...there's GOT to be a better way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK - I'm fed up.

I have the newer ACB 20 - the ones with the 2" fastex buckles. Not the ACB 30's with the scubapro-esque metal buckle.

The ACB 20 (right side) has 2" webbing - and this webbing threads through a fastex buckle, this buckle fastens into the weight pocket, and is pulled tight to keep the weight close to the plate.

I'm supposed to thread the 2" webbing through the stiff-assed webbing loop on the light. 2 issues:

1) I can't jam the fastex buckle through the SA webbing loop. So I have to remove the buckle every time I want to attach the light.

2) Of course, the ACB webbing never gets real tight - so my canister is always flopping around somewhat.

What a pain.

OK MacGyvers - I want a way to cllp the canister securely onto the ACB that makes it removable without having to unthread and re-thread the fastex buckle. Sort of a secure slip on flambus, as opposed to the SA loop. Do I need pictures, or am I being clear?

My alternative is to keep the canister on ALL THE TIME - not a great option. Unthreading the ACB every time to remove it is lame. I want a slip in version. A secure slip-on version lest my canister fall into the abyss.

PLEASE HELP.....

Thanks -

K

mo2vation once posted:
"I'm not coming up with any topics I really care less about that DIY.
So rock on - pull this Bob Villa non-sense and stick it in its own room so it doesn't clog the aisles of the legitimate rooms I skulk around in."

keep checking with your LDS, there has to be something out of a catalog somewhere......
:wink:

Lal - this is sweet. Thanks a ton. I searched yesterday, must've missed it.

Canuk - point well taken, witty barb well placed. :bonk: I'm confident the brightstars at Trident or Halcyon are hard at work on this right problem now... :D

I simply don't possess the DIY gene. You guys rule. Thanks.

Ken

...and go with a v-weight, p-weight, or something to take that weight off my belt/ACBs.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Canuk - point well taken, witty barb well placed. :bonk: I'm confident the brightstars at Trident or Halcyon are hard at work on this right problem now... :D

I simply don't possess the DIY gene. You guys rule. Thanks.

Ken

LOL, sorry ken, just couldn't resist there :wink:

what you could do (what I would probably do) is use a small lever clamp (looks like a hose clamp, but with a quick release) to tighten it against the plate. Drill a small hole in the edge of the plate and feed the clamp thru it, and around the canister to hold it in place.

McMaster-Carr sell the clamps pretty cheap :wink:

So I keep the ACB's - for now. I'm down to 10 pounds...so its hadely noticable anymore. If I get a FredT and a channel weight, that'll suck up the 10... but no more ditchable (unlike a certian O-Ring, my light can't be considered ditchable weight...or even extreme ditchable weight :D )

Maybe with the Dry Suit I don't need ditchable weight, as I have back up lift with the suit...I dunno. I'm still noodling over the ditchable weight thing.

I just built the 'Roo mount, using 1/4 in Bungee...very nice.

Thanks all.

K

I don't do ditchable weight and that is one of the reasons I have been slow to upgrade my light. I would rather carry my light than carry your light and wear a weightbelt or ACBs, but everyone has a different feeling on that.

Good luck with the MacGyver stuff!

Honestly, Eric - I can probably be convinced to lose these saddlebags without much effort.

I was at 18# in my 7mm in November. I started off dry diving with about 24# in December. I went into DIR/F in March with 16#, came out with 10#. I'm not sure 10# is my ultimate number, but at 12# I was still pretty stoney.

Is there a conventional wisdom on Ditchable weight? Such as: If you're diving wet, have XX% ditchable, if you're diving dry, what, are you kidding me...?"

Seriously. What's the deal? Obviously with double steels you'll likely not need additional weight at all. What about us single(s) guys?

K

Everyone has different beliefs on ditchable weight. I believe that having a balanced rig that I can swim up from depth (i.e. not being overweighted) is more important than having a weight belt I can ditch. For one, I don't like weightbelts. Another reason is that with a ton of weight around my waist I find my trim is harder to hold than having the weight more evenly distributed.

If you rack up a significant deco obligation or are deeper than 100' or so, I feel a CESA isn't a real possibility anyway so I can't see ditching the belt at depth. IMHO, losing my weightbelt at depth could also be catastrophic since it would leave me too light to complete any of my deco stops safely. That being said, I have only lost a weightbelt at depth once and luckily for me I never knew it since it was hanging over my crotch strap behind me. I didn't notice until we climbed out of the water and I felt something hitting the backs of my legs as I was walking.

In an emergency if I need buoyancy on the surface, I can ditch the light or someone can ditch it for me. That being said, when I dive single 80s I DO wear a weightbelt if I am not carrying my light.

Here come the rest of the members with the other sides of the argument.. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom