Halcyon Pathfinder Reel service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're so handy ;-)

I had no idea thumbscrews could cost that much.

You're so handy ;-).

You betcha - mom and dad taught me well :)

I had no idea thumbscrews could cost that much.

I was surprised as well. Probably not something people buy a lot of. Plus it's made of stainless which is never cheap ... see bolt snaps.

I noticed that the thumb screw had been cut/filed at the tip, probably to smooth out the ridge that is normally created when rolling the threads. But the tip rusted because the bolt wasn't passivated after the filing. Now it will be :wink:

Henrik

Nylon will swell I would definitely stick to stainless. I'm having a problem with mine being warped too. I don't remember ever dropping it so I'm not sure how it got that way but it definitely rubs while letting line out/taking it in. Kind of a PITA. I need to take it apart and see if I can shave the offending section down.

Nylon will swell I would definitely stick to stainless. I'm having a problem with mine being warped too.

Thanks for the nylon info.

Are you saying that the reel part itself is warped? Could the reel "bits" have slipped where the 4 bolts hold the hub and sides together?

Henrik

I realized I had Boeshield Rust Free in the garage (Doh!), which along with a small brass brush made quick work of removing the rust from the thumb screw. Rust Free contains Phosphoric acid (just like Coca Cola :)), so it may actually passivate the steel as well ... anyone know how long exposure SS needs in order to be passivated?

So now the SS bits are just sitting it the Coke for passivation. They may be fine by now, but I'm in no rush.

Where do you guys buy cave line? I've seen links to some commercial fishing sites.

Henrik

I just buy my cave line from NESS. I'm sure there's a non-diving supply out there that's cheaper, but it's so cheap to begin with.... I can pick some up for you the next time I stop by. Might be a few weeks though.

They also have a SS thumbscrew for cheap; not sure it's the right kind/size though:
http://northeastscubasupply.com/store/dive-reels/reel-parts/cat_282.html

That thumb screw looks like a Dive Rite item ...? Either way, the thumb screw now looks better than new :)

I've looked at a few places for braided nylon twine. $10 - 13 per 1 lbs spool of #24 or #36. I'll need #24 to get a full 400' on the reel though.

I've been using neon colored line on a couple of my spools and like it :) Haven't found it at a price I'm willing to pay for longer lengths though.

Henrik

That thumb screw looks like a Dive Rite item ...? Either way, the thumb screw now looks better than new :)

I've looked at a few places for braided nylon twine. $10 - 13 per 1 lbs spool of #24 or #36. I'll need #24 to get a full 400' on the reel though.

I've been using neon colored line on a couple of my spools and like it :) Haven't found it at a price I'm willing to pay for longer lengths though.

Henrik

Haha. Who needs new when a little Coke will do?

NESS has 500 feet of neon line for $5, but it's #18.

NESS has 500 feet of neon line for $5, but it's #18.

You can buy #18 as Mason line at Home D for about the same. I've used it to tie on bolt snaps - didn't want to start cutting bits off line on my spools. Seems a tad too thin to handle well UW. No experience with that though.

Henrik

Back
Top Bottom