Halcyon V-weight "replacement"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought one of the webbing pouches,which I believe is supposed to replace the discontinued V-weights. I figured it was a great idea, and would make weight adjustment and balancing easier.

But I can't figure out how to "stuff" enough weight in the pouches to make up the 11 lbs I need for my doubles. An 4 lbs soft weight will just barely slip into the bottom (smaller) pouch, but once the first 4 lbs weight is in the bigger pouch and the pouch is seated between the tanks, that's about it.

I didn't have enough smaller soft weight to try several of those rather than the bigger weights - so that may be the trick?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Henrik

Hi Henrik,

What type of soft lead are you using?

I use the soft weights that are cordura covered (I think maybe from arrow weights?) as opposed to the neoprene covered soft weight. This allows for a little more room and ability to arrange as they are softer and thinner and i place them 'vertical' if that makes sense.

I have put a 5lb and a 2 in the bottom pouch and i think a mix of 4 and 3 to get as much as 14lbs in it.

It will depend a bit on the tanks you are using. I only need that much when i'm diving with an older set of LP72's (and my heavy undergarments) which are slightly narrower tanks and therefor have more room in between. I have not tried to put 14 in between my 100's.

I can try to get some pictures if that helps?

-Laura

Thanks Laura,

I'm using soft weight in black mesh bags. I tried the pouch on my AL80 doubles.

It seems easier to get the first soft weight in the pouch by easing the pouch between the tanks while at the same time "pouring" the soft weight through the available space. That of course only works with the first soft weight though :wink:

Pictures would be great. Thanks,

Henrik

I'm not sure if you've worked this out by now (probably have), but I just started using the same 'soft v-weight' from Halcyon. I'm able to get 11lbs into the pouches, barely. Smaller sizes of weights seem to work best. I'm using the sea pearls soft weights, and put 5 lbs in the tail (a 4 and a 1), and 6 in the main compartment (a 4 and a 2). I think you might be able to get 7 in the large compartment if you wanted to. I place the pouches between the tanks, and then 'pour' the soft weights into them.

Hope this helps.

-Charles

Thanks Charles,

I actually haven't had a chance to try - I don't have enough of the small soft weights. But thank you for the confirmation. I had suspected that smaller weights were the way to go. But I really appreciate you providing the confirmation :)

Henrik

Hmm, I have the Halcyon weight pockets for my Eclipse, but they are marketed as able to hold up to 10# total.

The OP is discussing weight for a double cylinder rig...

Scott is correct. The "pocket" I was asking about it a "2 pouches on a webbing strap", that fits between the tanks on a doubles set-up. It was supposedly made to replace the old 11 lbs lead weight, I just can't seem to cram 11 lbs into it.

It helps ALOT to lay the tanks down and add the soft weights.

Thanks Robert. That is what I've been doing. The tanks lying down on my set-up table, and the a combination of "pouring" and stuffing the weights in. I still haven't bought enough small soft weights, so that is probably part of the problem - I simply can'tt get the larger soft weights to fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom