halfmoon bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey

ive tried a number of searches but cant find anything on the diving situation around the Halfmoon bay area of the peninsula. Some of the smaller beaches around there look pretty enticing (venice, redondo) but i dont want to get into any trouble. Any info much appreciated

I ask because its little more than 20 minutes from home- a good hour or so off the trip to monterey, aso kinda nice for after work during the week.

Additionally, any of those reservoirs along santa cruz highway (Lexington?) allow dives?

Cheers

Neil

No on the resevoirs... There are some old school guys who jump in the waters near Pacifica but mainely to spearfish... HMB I hear is pretty Sharky... maybe some of the locals will pipe in...

Usually really low vis from my understanding, and considered too "sharky" to dive as Ben said.

But a couple of the hardcore Spearo's do in fact freedive there ...

Mark

Ben_ca:
Mark,
If you want to check it out I'll hold onto your keys and wallet for you :)

Yep, if you want to join me I'm there. Course, you have to get in the water with me. You know the Golden Rule of shark diving. If you see a shark, stab your buddy and swim away as fast as you can.

A local spearo just landed a 40" / 26.5# Ling there that was holed up on the wall at about 40'.

Mark

Most recreational divers avoid diving the White Shark/Red Triangle from Ano Nuevo, to the Farallons, to Bodega Bay.

http://greatwhite.org/lo_frame_attack.htm

There is an Elephant Seal rookery at Ano Nuevo and Sea Lion rookeries at the other two locations that the sharks like to feed on. I'm sure there are other reasons that sharks like the area including surfers:wink:

So, you're in too Greg? Wow, bunch of studs in the Nor Cal forum :wink:

I can do this Monday or next Sunday, let me know and we'll get it going. Course, only freediving, those tanks may weigh things in our favor against whitey. :D

Mark

mweitz:
So, you're in too Greg? Wow, bunch of studs in the Nor Cal forum :wink:

I can do this Monday or next Sunday, let me know and we'll get it going. Course, only freediving, those tanks may weigh things in our favor against whitey. :D

Mark

:lol:

I'll be looking for the outliers in Monterey Bay and out at Monastary on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom