Halibut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kale

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Do any of you spearfish halibut? If so what depths and size fish do you hunt?Any other info is appreciated.
Thanks,
Kale

I don't spear fish so don't have any advice but would love to see you hook up to one of these.

07_07_d_bruno.jpg

Read an article years ago about a guy in Alaska who tagged one of those barn doors and it almost killed him. After the spear hit it's mark, the fish took off slashing his bicep with a fin, to the bone, and disappeared. He was lucky and survived but lost a bit of blood.

I've always thought targeting those bottom dwellers would be great but here in Oregon they tend to hang out in the 200-500 fsw area. Just a bit too deep for this guy.

I have caught them with a rod in as little as 50' of water. Hell of a fight, even for a 50 lber.
I think you need some experienced surface support for this adventure, Someone really good with a boat. Possibly some nice floats and 300LB mono filament on the spear.
If you do it please take pictures and post them.

Good luck...
:)

I have heard the same about how dangerous they are to spear when they decide to run! Seeing the whoppers up close and personal I would never try anything like that! They are HUGE!

X

I think I would use a gun with four bands and set it up breakaway with a big tuna float. if not shore diving I would deffinately want someone in the boat watching my float. Getting a stone shot in the brain would be the goal though.I know some big fish have been taken in AK and BC. I'm just trying to gather information, I'm not going until this summer or next summer. Hows the water temp in the summer?

I think I would use a gun with four bands and set it up breakaway with a big tuna float. if not shore diving I would deffinately want someone in the boat watching my float. Getting a stone shot in the brain would be the goal though.I know some big fish have been taken in AK and BC. I'm just trying to gather information, I'm not going until this summer or next summer. Hows the water temp in the summer?

Water temperature in AK during the summer is in the low/mid 40's breaking into 50's...depending on where you are. I would imagine somewhat the same in BC? I saw some monsters being pulled up (rod and reel) in Seward and Homer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom