Hamilton Pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was in Austin area last weekend on business and had a chance to dive Hamilton Pool on saturday morning, 3-25. Pretty good 1/4 mile hump downhill with all my gear, so I had friend along who voluntered to carry my wetsuit and fins. Dove with 5mm fullsuit, hood, gloves and boots. Very comfortable with water temp at 55F for 45 min dive. Water very clear with vis at least 10+ along edges of pool. Water gets dark very quickly at depth of around 15 ft because of very little sunlight due to the cliffs above. Had to use a light below 15 ft in spots. Max depth was 28ft in center of pool with lots of limbs and other debris on bottom. Vis at 28ft was about 3ft. Overall great dive with lots of unusual fallen rock formations to see along with the catfish, bass, sunfish, and carp.

The web site for them mention swimming when permited but nothing about diving. ??

I had no trouble diving the site, especially since it is still too in the spring early for lots of swimmers. The park rangers were very helpful and requested a water temp and maximum depth from the dive. I would call in advance to make sure it is open for swimming. It was closed for swimming earlier in the week. The bottom is silty in places and I imagine swimmers would mess up the vis.

I've always wondered about diving Hamilton Pool. It just always seemed like to much of hump back up the hill with wet gear to bother with it. Thanks for the report ebj!

PS Hamilton pool gets closed after it rains because of the bacteria that comes off the cliffs and washes into the pool, I guess from bird poop.

I heard rumors of Water Moccasin problems in that area. Is there any truth to those stories?

SStrecker:
I heard rumors of Water Moccasin problems in that area. Is there any truth to those stories?

Last couple of summers, I've been there with my (soon to be) 5 yr old daughter. Never seen a snake of any kind there. Lots of people there during the summer months, I'd think the snakes would be in hiding if they're at all wise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom