HammerHead II Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have opinion on hammerhead back plates. I have never heard of them but their prices are low and ther product looks good online. I am looking at OMS plates now and those hammerheads look very similar. Thanks

I have one and I absolutely love it.... I opted for the 1 piece STA with mine.

The crotch strap was a bit short for me, but that was easily remedied.....

I paired it up with a Oxycheq Wing #35 Sig Series from ScubaToys....

I have a Hammerhead backplate as well. Required some minor sanding to deburr the STA and smooth out some edges on the BP to my liking. And when I switch to doubles, I needed to drill out the holes since they were sized for smaller bolts. However, it's an excellent plate for the price.

I have the steel Hammerhead plate with one piece sta as well coupled with a Oxycheq 45 wing. I also love my plate and recommend it. At $99 for the plate, sta, webbing, and hardware it can not be beat in my opinion

I have the same rig as Randy - SS backplate, 1 piece STA, w/ an Oxy Sig 35. Very Nice plate; comes in at about 11#s; great for these SoCal waters. I dive it with a single X8-130.

I did de-burr a few spots along the edge of the STA, and soften the sharp slot edges, with a dremmel; no big deal - took a few minutes. Hammerhead notes this on the STA page that it is not completely finished as it the back plate, so no surprize.

I'd invest in a set of of delrin thumb wheels, and some spares, from DSS . Saves your thumbs. I forget the bolt size needed.

One thing to note; I have to cross the shoulder straps in back for the harness and plate to lay comfortably on my back. I'm a fairly big guy ( well, wide, not so tall :wink: ). Other plates may position the upper harness slots differently. This may or may not be a problem for you. I did not get the harness kit from Hammerhead, so no comments on lengths.

Its a quality product, at a price you can't beat.

I also have a dive a Hammerhead plate and like it. It has a fairly high center groove but for most people that has no significance. I recommend the single piece DiveRite STA for use with it. The Hammerhead plate is a quality piece and very competively priced.

Hammerhead plate with Hammerhead two piece STA:

DSCF0254.jpg

Hammerhead with Mach V and DiveRite single piece beside it which is how i mostly dive it:

DSCF0253.jpg

DSCF0263.jpg

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom