Hammerhead info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Yesterday we were out on the boat cruising along and saw a big fin out of the water. I immediately said "Hey look, a Hammerhead" (knowing that these are usually the only sharks in that particular area who lounge around on the surface with their dorsal fin out :wink: sometimes I am clever!)

We cut back the motors and glide over to it. Sure enough about a 6 - 7 foot hammerhead! Excellent. BUT even better...there is a SECOND hammerhead directly under it!

The second hammerhead was very tiny...less than half the length of the top one. It was swimming right underneath - exactly the way you see baby dolphins swimming with mom.

Anyone know if this is usual, what the behaviour is etc? It is the first time we have seen it. DH suggested that it was a male checking out a female...all I can say is there's nothing like high hopes, if it was!

That IS odd. Yeah I'd go with the male/female thing too. Boy sharks are generally smaller than girls. I find it hard to believe that a three foot hammerhead would be sexually mature however. I guess you didn't determine the species type did you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom