Hand Signals Top 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although should be covered in pre-dive planning, particularly if diving with instabuddy is all the various ways of signing air left.

I don't use "cold" very often, because some other limit (like agreed-upon dive time, which was often predicated by estimated thermal tolerance) is usually hit. I do use it if my suit leaks.

I personally find "jazz hands" come in handy. I picked this up from a young buddy/friend who is involved in "the performing arts"... It's usually used in reply to an "Are you ok?" query, but it's up several notches on the "Hell ya, I'm awesome" scale...

This is her doing what's actually "Jazz Body" but includes "Jazz Hands" while doing our deco after her first dive on the Arabia in Tobermory! :)

Attachments

• Arabia Jen Jazz Hands © DSC_0691_edited-1.jpg
    Arabia Jen Jazz Hands © DSC_0691_edited-1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 168
Part of why I dive solo. There are a ton of esoteric "hand signals" that only add another layer of complexity to what should be a relaxing, soothing, experience. I avoid any unnecessary task loading. I will never forget how complex the signals were for communicating your remaining pressure though I have completely forgotten the signals - fingers up mean one thing, down means something else (why not use both hands? we have 10 fingers/thumbs).

Part of why I dive solo. There are a ton of esoteric "hand signals" that only add another layer of complexity to what should be a relaxing, soothing, experience. I avoid any unnecessary task loading. I will never forget how complex the signals were for communicating your remaining pressure though I have completely forgotten the signals - fingers up mean one thing, down means something else (why not use both hands? we have 10 fingers/thumbs).

One handed signals are commonly used in technical and cave diving so that the other hand can hold a light and illuminate the hand signal.

Solo diving can be fun, but I don't think that being unable to remember hand signals or being stressed by the complexity of communicating with another diver is a good reason to do it.

... fingers up mean one thing, down means something else (why not use both hands? we have 10 fingers/thumbs).

Actually, my main dive buddy over the past 30-odd years is "challenged" in that regard. He lost his right hand in an accident when he was kid. One-handed signals have their advantages. Mind you, he and I have many hundreds of dives logged together and we pretty much know what the other is thinking just glancing at each other...

The ones I use, and make sure my buddy knows are:
ok
up
down
air pressure (numbers)

And

Pointing at something

The rest, I have found, just do not matter unless something is wrong.

I personally find "jazz hands" come in handy. I picked this up from a young buddy/friend who is involved in "the performing arts"... It's usually used in reply to an "Are you ok?" query, but it's up several notches on the "Hell ya, I'm awesome" scale...

This is her doing what's actually "Jazz Body" but includes "Jazz Hands" while doing our deco after her first dive on the Arabia in Tobermory! :)
Oh, theres another one for that...
It involve a finger going through a circle and an "ok" gesture :wink:

Back
Top Bottom