Hands and Arms during Dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the information...its as clear as mud..or fish poop -- no just kidding :wink:. It has been really helpful to a newbie like myself because its not one of those things that is explained anywhere. Observing other divers didn't help as everyone seemed to be doing it a little bit different. I will definitely try the suggestions and see what feels/works the best for me.

Remembering my answers in this thread whilst responding to another thread.... I need to clarify something...

My answer to clasp your hands in front of you was only a small part of the story... I was focusing in on not using your hands for propulsion nor grabbing at things...

But the original question was *while swimming*

While swimming if I am not tasked with something that requires the use of my hands I will let them assume a position of least drag.

While swimming my left (or right) hand is forward holding an HID light head on a goodman handle and my right (or left)hand might be trailing back.

While swimming laying line my left hand has the light and my right hand will be holding the reel out to the side and slightly down.... or vise versa...

While scootering the left hand may be holding the light while my right arm is outstretched to the scooter trigger ... though sometimes I am also holding the light in the right hand too if my left hand is needed for a task (checking the spg, ect..)

But when just putzing around sculling with my fins and really going nowhere but just looking at the critters I keep my hands clasped in front of my chest my elbows into my sides...

And when doing ascents and at deco stops I keep my hands clasped and in front of me elbows out so I can see my computer... (except when I use my left hand to dump air from the wing.)

Let me start out by saying I'm a pretty new diver. I've recently bought my first BC (it's a Diva LX....I love it!) anyway, one of the things I was excited about with the Diva is that it has weight pockets....so no more weight belt (yeah!!). So I get out there on my live aboard....and start diving with this new BC. I was sooo uncomfortable for the first few dives and couldn't for the life of me figure out why....and I finally figured it out. In the past, I had always stuck my hands in my weight belt.....it was by far the most comfortable place when I was just swimming. ...of course I didn't have one of those anymore :)

Once I figured out what was bugging me, I then figured out what was comfy for me (stuck in the cumberbund....it feels much higher, but it was good as I could get :wink: ). Isn't it funny what a difference such a little change can make.

I have been diving with a Diva LX since October. I love mine too!

Anyway, I used to just clasp my hands together underneath me when I wasn't checking my console. I have since found something to do with my hands...hold a camera! But, I should add, before you take a camera down, get comfortable with just diving and get good at bouancy control!

When I first started diving....I didn't even realize that my arms were all over the place. It was only when we started taking some underwater pictures that I realized that I looked like I was trying to fly underwater. I remember thinking......"what was I doing and how silly does that look?" and then replying "VERY".

I then started paying close attention to other divers' arms and realized that the more experienced ones kept their arms tucked and still with their hands close to their chests or waists. So...I gave that a try but would forget as the dive progressed and I got interested in the sights - and that's what I was there for to enjoy the sights - not think about my arms all the time. So once again the pics showed "loose arms". Looks dumb in a picture but worse to me was that it meant that I was probably wasting energy by all the waving around.

Finally, my husband (a diver since 1970) suggested that I just place both hands gently around my air alternate air source and keep them there unless checking my gauge console which is attached to my BC on a retractor and hangs just below my alt air source. In fact, this arm position is just as many here have suggested - arms bent with elbows close to sides and hands together at mid-chest level...and it meant that I didn't have to move my hands/arms much if I needed to adjust buoyancy (which as a new diver at that time - I adjusted frequently then). This subtle restriction of movement helped to "train" my arms so to speak without any effort on my part and soon my hands and arms just automatically and comfortably settled to that position without having the air source in my hands. Muscle memory I guess. From the very first time I tried this, I immediately felt more in control of my buoyancy and movement through the water.

And, of course, the pictures improved too! Well, for what it's worth, that is what worked for me as a new diver - the "air source pacifier"...LOL

You'll find your own comfort zone where you feel "centered". Happy diving! :)

During my 1st OW cert dive this weekend, I noticed how little the instructor moved around. His hands were clasped at his waist while swimming. Once or twice he touched the bottom with one finger. I made it a point to keep my hands into my body.

By dive four I found I was getting the hang of it. I went from looking ridiculous on dive 1 to just a little silly on dive 4. I can't wait to dive more so I can get to streamlined.

Jeff

...... that I do occasionaly throw my arms straight out to the sides. However, it is so much fun coming out of high flow caves, like Ginnie, with your arms outstreched and your legs straight with no kicking, acting like an airplane. Complete with fighter plane sounds. hehehe. Of course I make sure I stay off the ceiling and floor when I do this. Maybe I am more narced than I think! LOL :wink: :D

Not being a well trained diver, but an old artifact with (likely) some ingrained bad habits, I had to think about what I do with my hands when I dive.

The best I could come up with:

1) Descents . If there is no current and the vis is good I free descend with both hands tucked gently, but very close to my body. I usually hook my thumbs or let on hand gently rest on top of the other. When I'm carrying my camera, I cradle it against my torso using both hands, with one cradling it like a baby (hey, I LOVE my camera).

In a stiff current, I hold my camera in my left hand along my side, and hold my right hand (gloved) forward and slide it or pull along the side or down (mooring/anchor) line. Without the camera, I simply hold my free hand along my side.

2) On the bottom, I hold my hands, thumbs locked, in front of me, gently hanging down slightly, unless I am actively swimming in a current. Then, I just tuck them more tightly. With the camera, I either tuck the camera "in" like on the descent, until I find a subject, or I swim with my hands holding the camera against my chest, but "aimed" out, so I can put it to my mask and frame fairly quickly. This is not efficient, but it allows me to check camera setting, then frame, in one motion. I only do this in light to no current conditions.

3) When "hovering" around, which I like to do, I lock both thumbs, but lower on my, ahem, gut. I hold the camera with four fingers of my hand, but I must admit I just let it dangle loosely i my fingers and don't bother to tuck it in...and, yes, i have it on a wrist lanyard. On those moments, I am focusing on relaxing and admittedly my hands sometimes just "hang" in front of my body.

4) Ascents with camera or other junk in my hands require that I hold my hands higher around my chest. With camera tucked in my left hand, I unclip my guage console and "hang" it over my forearm. This leaves my right hand free to grab the hang line if the current is trying to sweep me away, and to hold a light, if it is night. I find it very easy to monitor my computer and pressure guage this way. This is probably a poor method, but I feel more comfortable with fewer "hand swaps" necessary when getting read to make a stop. I've watched someone drop their camera once, with 400' of water under the boat, because they forgot that it was hanging on a wrist lanyard and swapped hands, letting the critical hand dangle just enough......it almost made me cry (if it were my camera, I WOULD have cried.)

Anyway, I likely have some bad habits, but "dat's da way I do it"....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom