Hard plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich52

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone ever used a hard plate on a Ranger.? Is it even possible.

Hi Rich,

I made this enquiry of Zeagle when I was looking at gear. IIRC, their advice was that it is possible with doubles, as the bolts sandwich the BCD between the plate and the tanks. Not possible with singles though, I believe.
I ended up putting a ranger wing on a Zeagle backplate, and using Zeagle integrated weights and "tech pockets"...it ends up being halfway between a BPW and a Ranger...and works extremely well! :)

Dave.

I made this enquiry of Zeagle when I was looking at gear. IIRC, their advice was that it is possible with doubles, as the bolts sandwich the BCD between the plate and the tanks. Not possible with singles though, I believe.
I ended up putting a ranger wing on a Zeagle backplate, and using Zeagle integrated weights and "tech pockets"...it ends up being halfway between a BPW and a Ranger...and works extremely well! :)

Yep, that's all accurate. We've got some videos on the assembly of twin cylinders to the Ranger BC and on attaching just the bladder to the backplate itself but adding just a metal backplate to the Ranger vest is not something it's designed for. If that's what you're trying to do Rich we can discuss it but I'll assume you're trying to put twin cylinders on.

[video=youtube;xAXvNSVoDyY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAXvNSVoDyY[/video]

The idea is that you'll be removing the single cylinder bands from the vest and replacing them with a pair of the Bladder Attachment Straps. These straps have different lengths and vary by the age of the BC, it helps to have a picture of the back of the BC where the tank bands are for me to identify the right length. If its a new (less than 5 years old) Ranger then the part number for these straps is 7281M. These straps will keep the bladder attached to the vest and are the only Zeagle specific item you'll need to have to convert your Ranger to using twin cylinders.

After this you'll use your metal backplate and position it appropriately with the SS grommets in the vest, then put the bolts through and install the appropriate nuts to secure the twin cylinders. Like Pin83 said above the tanks and metal backplate are going to sandwich the bladder and vest together, and with the Bladder Attachment Straps installed everything will remain in place on the BC.

Hey guys

thanks for the great info. It was kind of a kick around idea I had since I've had my ranger for years now, but with no plans at the present time to upgrade to doubles. Great video..thanks Jeff

Rich

Back
Top Bottom