Harrassed by lobsterman!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I know this sort of incident isn't uncommon, I am sure many of you have had similar encounters, but it still bugs me. Seriously, how many divers do you know that would pick a lobster trap clean? I am sure they exist, but they are a tiny minority of divers. It is like yelling at everyone that walks near your vehicle, "Don't steal my car or I will hunt you down

A little early but there is always a drop in the catch around now, the first glut is over and the bugs are thining out, and as soon as that happens the fingers start pointing. Another problem is there is more "sports" out now and they have been known to pull a trap or two, so the paranoia escalates................

ScubaSarus:
A group of us dove out to the dumplings from the pier near Bull Point. A lobsterman pulled right up to us and accused divers of raiding his traps. He told us he had spent time in jail for running over a diver already. We explained to him we were not taking lobster. This may be the same guy. What a coincidence.

Chris

That sounds like a line of BS...by the lobsterman, I mean, not you. It may come to the point where divers will have to start calling the authorities and filing complaints on those that harass, endanger, threaten, intimidate and otherwise "assault" divers engaged in legitimate diving activities. This behavior is definately hazardous to divers. If this individual lobsterman in question actually went to jail (as opposed to using that line as a method of intimidation) then perhaps he needs a longer term "refresher" in the laws associated with his chosen profession.

I read a post by someone not to long ago suggesting that if you have a run in with one of these people, the best thing to do is report it to the Harbormaster, with their boat registration numbers.

The same thing was suggested for the idiots who don't respect the dive flag law.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom