Has a mask strap ever broken on you while diving?

Has a mask strap ever broken on you while diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slamfire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I got my first mask when I was 5 years old. I've been using masks since then. I've had straps break down, but never while diving. A break down usually involved degrading rubber (pre silicon days), bugs/animals chewing on strap, inadvertent cut or damage to the strap while on the surface. All of these were really easy to spot in the surface before actually taking it down to the water. But these days, where all my masks are stored in its "tupperware" containers masks straps are more protected and last longer.

So I just want to get a basic idea of how often mask strap problems arise in real world conditions.

Last edited:
Ive only ever had one strap break, though it didn't break all the way through. it was one of those straps that kinda splits into two at the back and one of the bits of it snapped but the other was fine, though it made my mask kinda lose for the rest of the dive.

Yes, I was able to hold it to my face and surface without a problem. I now use "slap straps" most of the time, they seem less prone to failure and are a lot more comfortable.

I use neoprene "slap" straps on my masks. I've never had one break. But the neoprene does stretch out over time, and if you don't tighten it up, the strap will come off when you do a back roll or giant stride entry. I've had it happen to me a couple times. I also a few months back chased someone else's mask about 40 feet down a wall when they lost it on entry.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Strap? No. Other parts of the mask? Yes.

I've had my mask kicked, bumped out of place, moved off my face -- but not off the head -- by crashing waves, but I've never had a lost mask during a dive, freedive or snorkelling session. I've found a couple of masks underwater but the strap was still usable.

Strap? No. Other parts of the mask? Yes.

Frame, buckle, lens? Please expand. I broke the lenses on my first mask by dropping it in a rocky creek bed. That was a painful loss. I had just discovered that I could see underwater as clearly as I could see above just a few months before, and I just destroyed it... :depressed:

It's no big deal just put it back on and clear it and give it a little push the suction will hold it in position for the whole dive as long as you don't breath out of your nose. If your not comfortable with this then just gently hold the frame while you enjoy your dive.

I've never had a broken strap. Little unclear on the question though - you mean mask "removed accidentally" only due to a broken strap? Or due to anything? I suspect it's much more likely for someone to lose a mask because someone kicked it or other things that have nothing to do with broken straps.

I've never had a broken strap. Little unclear on the question though - you mean mask "removed accidentally" only due to a broken strap? Or due to anything? I suspect it's much more likely for someone to lose a mask because someone kicked it or other things that have nothing to do with broken straps.
I meant the poll option as removed by anything but a broken strap. In other words option 4 in the poll could be read as:

No, no mask strap has ever broken on me while I've been diving, but I did have an incident where my mask was removed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom