Has *anybody* gotten the Galileo to work on Mac??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

likelite

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sigh. I'm SO TIRED of this. I just want a solution for Mac that will work without me having to cobble together a solution out of twine and baling wire, and that will have more than 10% of the functionality of the Windoze version.

I've had a Galileo for a year now but due to a severe ankle injury last year, haven't been doing much diving. I'm going to Cayman this week and had hoped - stupid me - I might be able to get the thing to talk to my travel lappie, an IBook G4, for use on the trip. At one point I was assured by a Scubapro rep the Galileo was Mac compatible, a big reason I bought it.

WHY have they not even considered using Bluetooth on a device at this price point?! WHY is there no information on where to get an IRDA device for Mac anywhere on Scubapro.com - or anywhere else that I've been able to find? WHY does the JTrak software for Mac look like an accounting program I had back on Windows 3.1, with barely basic functionality?

News flash: Millions of people use Macintosh. There's cash to be made for any manufacturer who'll construct a halfway decent dive computer that will work without the everlasting struggle that virtually every current manufacturer creates in putting out these subpar products.

What's even worse is that the actual functionality of the computer itself is impaired by not being able to use the software. I can't enter my name or emergency information into it without JTrak. Unacceptable!!!!!

They advertise this device as being compatible with Mac - they should either make it work with Mac or STOP CLAIMING IT DOES!!

Last edited:
Just a couple more data points: This guy bought the IRDA adapter recommended by Scubapro here, and it wouldn't work. He went so far as to contact Frobese, which makes the software for JTrak....and they told him he'd "have to wait for a new version of JTrak that supports that protocol." Well, guess what - Scubapro hasn't bothered to update JTrak since 2003! Don't hold your breath!

Seriously, this is absolutely a case of false advertising. Scubapro tells everyone these computers work on both platforms - they actually package JTrak onto the CD that comes with the Galileo - then they don't support any method that would actually allow you to get your information onto or off your computer.

What's the big deal? Why don't they get with the program and make equipment that works as advertised? Plenty of other manufacturers manage to do that.

But at least Mac owners are much cooler than nerdy PC users!

mac-pc-iphone.jpg

Now Now PC, let's not start a war! This isn't the place for a Mac attack.

I was part of another thread. I had a lot of suggestions (JTrak, the use of VM Ware Fusion, Parallels or bootcamp) but no one took them serious. Thread Here

MisaC indicated he WAS able to change the settings on his dive computer using the Mac and JTrak (see post 46).

Now, I don't own a Mac nor do I know if MisaC was actually able to get it working on the Mac. I'm just telling you what I was aware of.

JTrak was updated just recently and I have it downloaded on my Mac. Currently, I'm diving the SmartZ wrist and planning on upgrading to the Galileo Sol in the near future. Unfortunately JTrak is not yet as detailed as SmartTrak and there seems to be no means of moving your log book from SmartTrak to JTrak. I've been talking to one of the ScubaPro tehs on this issue. They do expect a fix in the near future.

JTrak was updated just recently and I have it downloaded on my Mac. Currently, I'm diving the SmartZ wrist and planning on upgrading to the Galileo Sol in the near future. Unfortunately JTrak is not yet as detailed as SmartTrak and there seems to be no means of moving your log book from SmartTrak to JTrak. I've been talking to one of the ScubaPro tehs on this issue. They do expect a fix in the near future.

Only take their word at face value, they have been promising a software update for trimix gas for quite some time and have not delivered yet.

I'm a happy Sol owner but I would suggest that you only upgrade when the software is avalaible.

Not to add cost to owning a Sol but you could easily just buy a cheap $199 netbook and get a $19.99 USB infared transmitter/receiver if you want a Sol but decide not to use the JTrak for any reason (lack of features, personal choice, etc).

The Sol itself is a great computer and doesn't require a PC/Mac to use it. Granted, the SmartTrak software adds the ability to configure all of the settings and download the logs, a nice feature but not "required".

Hi,

New to the forum. I was also looking for an IR adapter since both my Mac and Vaio does not come with IR. I cannot even find an adapter that works with Vista.

I searched the web and found one that looks exactly like the one Uwatec sells. It cost 19.95 made by Gearmo modle IRJOY sold by usbgear.com

Does anyone of you know if it works with Mac or Vista?

I've had no problem with the cheap IR Transmitter/Receiver I bought from Comp USA on Vista several years back. I paid about $9.99 for mine.

In most cases, Vista will see any IR Transmitter/Receiver and load the basic driver and it will work without issue.

Remember, you need an IR adapter that can SEND and RECEIVE, not just a RECEIVER. There are IR devices meant to be receivers for controllers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom