Has anyone dove Inagua or Mayaguana islands in the Southern Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saildiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Fairfield, Iowa, USA-and on our sailboat Mana-Ni-W
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone dove Inagua or Mayaguana islands in the Southern Bahamas...with small populations and being far from other major Islands, these Islands look like they might still be pristine for the diver who wants to do something close by?? thanks, Saildiver :)

I dove Hogsty reef- actually a small islet between Inagua and Acklins. I've done Crooked, Acklins, Long, Rum. And you're right- pristine diving to be had. Don't expect many services though- you've gotta bring your own if you expect to have any at all. When I was in Acklins, they had conduit pipe running down the side of the streets for power- and salt water came out of the shower head. Lots of skeeters too- Nice diving though.

I dove Hogsty reef- actually a small islet between Inagua and Acklins. I've done Crooked, Acklins, Long, Rum. And you're right- pristine diving to be had. Don't expect many services though- you've gotta bring your own if you expect to have any at all. When I was in Acklins, they had conduit pipe running down the side of the streets for power- and salt water came out of the shower head. Lots of skeeters too- Nice diving though.

Hey Osseous-hows them bones-glad to hear someone 's been there-how'd you get there ,Sail, or fly? If you flew-where did you stay or did you camp, and are their any air compressors on Inaugua or Acklins. Can you say any more about the diving there compared to the rest of the Bahamas diving that you've done. I've dove Long Island and Rum Caye back in 93 but not since...not bad but not that many fish...nice coral and viz at Rum Caye though..We're used to roughing it as we often dive off our 23 foot sailboat for 3 weeks at a time away from anywhere (including NO ICE)...I'd love to hear anything that you can tell us...Peace...Saildiver :cool2:

I have a neighbor who dove the western end of Mayaguana. He said it was some of the best diving he had done. It probably wouldn't have stayed that way if the major development they started there had continued. They stopped because of the economic situation, one of the few benifits of this economic mess.

We ran some trips to Hogsty Reef last summer with stops in Rum Cay, Crooked Island & Acklins along the way. We dove some reefs that were really pristine. In Hogsty we had many barrel sponges that were 10' across. We are running some longer trips there this summer. I would like to get up to Mayaguana but I'm not sure we will be able to. You can get more info on the trips at Bahamas scuba diving Liveaboard Blackbeard's Cruises

I sailed from Provo- I found the diving there spectacular, but then, I thought that of many other areas as well. Notably pristine- but we had current and did exclusively drift diving. Lots of eagle rays, large sponges, rough water and some of the fastest drifts I've ever done. Felt like the edge of beyond diving there.

Compressors on Acklins?! Ummm- not that I can think of. Hell, internal combustion is still considered progress there. Seriously, I don't know- but based on the fact that every facility I encountered there was pretty hardscrabble, I would really doubt it. There's a guy on Crooked at Pittstown who does some dive trips- Robbie. He's got access to air someplace, and I doubt he's getting those tanks flown in. Gotta be one on Crooked someplace. Robbie's a nice guy, too. Great bonefishing all throughout that area- that's been the genesis for most of my trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom