Has anyone dove the pipeline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is that?

Starts in Louisiana, ends north of Port Manatee. It's a long, deep swim!:eyebrow:

At one point it's about 200-300 yards north of the of the south Skyway fishing pier. I remember the massive construction barge was there for about a month. The pipeline was about a 3' diameter steel pipe covered in a foot of concrete for weight. In the shallows the pipe was buried in a trench to prevent damage from tides, currents, storms, etc. That said, there are probably some holes in the trench, and exposed sections of pipe, but I can't imagine anything worth diving.

I heard it's got a some sweet spots for spearfishing....we've been talking about doing it for a while now....rumors of tons of snapper

I was told there are junction areas that are pretty good dive spots. The pipe itself is only 3' in diameter, but in areas the dump rocks all around the pipe to keep it in place. I would think this would attract fish.

GulfCoastdiver:
It'is not to bad if you have numbers for it, I dove a spot 27 miles out of johns pass and it had alot of life on it.

I have numbers on a map. I hope the numbers are better than most I have tried to use. Numbers were actually what I was fishing for. I think I am going to check it out next time I am out.

How far out, and how deep?

It runs from Mobile to Port Manatee. Looks like it crosses the middle grounds. As far out and deep as you want.

If you meant the junctions I don't know. That is part of what I am trying to find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom