Has anyone ever gone back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yea it is partially shop issue i see there point but i also see my point they want dive-cons in same gear as students. i would be willing to use my regs that are set up as open water regs, but i want my BP/w I'm gonna have a long talk with shop owner and see what we can work out, they don't have problem with can lights because allot of are instructors and dive-cons use them for there primary light when they are needed. i don't have a problem with the regs its what i use on all my recovery work main reason is. i don't have a use for a long hose when my only buddy is a support rope to a highly trained tender on the surface and comm gear. i still always have my backup bunged.

yea it is partially shop issue i see there point but i also see my point they want dive-cons in same gear as students. i would be willing to use my regs that are set up as open water regs, but i want my BP/w I'm gonna have a long talk with shop owner and see what we can work out, they don't have problem with can lights because allot of are instructors and dive-cons use them for there primary light when they are needed. i don't have a problem with the regs its what i use on all my recovery work main reason is. i don't have a use for a long hose when my only buddy is a support rope to a highly trained tender on the surface and comm gear. i still always have my backup bunged.

Does you're shop handle Aqualung/Apeks?
The reason I ask is because Aqualung was wanting to give dive shops some great perks to get in their new Apeks plate and wing set up. See if the shop would be into going with that if you guys are affiliated. Then if a student sees it and wants one the shop has them, and a guy that can show them how to use it.

Hey, it might not be exactly what you want but it's still better than a jacket.

no were are mainly Sherwood we are dealers for a few others but don't promote them very much. I'll just see what comes of it next scheduled dive-con class is next winter so I have some time to see what i can figure out. but me being a dive-cons still questionable to me its not the skill level to do it its more less the other stuff. open water classes is the main part I'm not sure about.

I have been diving a jacket for the last 15 years. Last winter I bought a Pearl i3 BC which is by far the best fitting woman's BC I have owned. I just started Technical foundations and was worried that a hog rig with a single piece of webbing would be uncomfortable for a woman. We have no LDS's that rent BP/w's, so I bought a DR Transplate and a Halcyon hog rig. I wanted to try them both. Saturday I went out with the Transplate for the first time. It looked like it would be comfortable, but reality set in. My backup lights cover up the adjustment buckles rendering them useless. More D rings then necessary and I'm not sure how I felt about the chest strap.
This morning I went out with my hog harness. I was sure it was not going to be comfortable for a woman. WOW, was I ever wrong. Everything was so streamlined. I had to walk down the equivalent of 3 flights of stairs and cross a sloping bed of loose rocks to get to the water. The tanks were quite heavy, but everything felt so secure...and once I got into the water it felt really good. I am struggling a bit with dumping air from the rear dump valve, so that will take some practice, but it was really easy to hold my trim even with the doubles!
I have always heard that back inflates will put you face down in the water. It sounds very plausible, but now I know that is one of the biggest myths I have ever heard.
Now I am wondering what took me so long to try a bp/w? I spent way too many years with ill fitting women's BCD's.
My hog harness is definately a keeper. Anyone need a Transplate with one dive? :D
Carrie

Have you or anyone you know switched (or migrated probably) to a Hog or DIR gear configuration and then at some later time switched back to the traditional config?

Without bashing anyone or any style, brand, config, etc what were the reasons for this?

I have a DSS BP/W with a hog harness and a SCUBAPro Classic+ Stab jacket, and switch back and forth quite often.

All things being equal, I like the jacket BC better, except for use with steel doubles, which are just too heavy for it.

They're both just bags that can hold air and a place to strap your tank. If you're properly weighted, they'll both range from "mostly empty" to "completely empty" during the dive. and if you're properly trimmed, you won't really notice or care which one you have.

Try them both and buy the one you like.

Terry

Have you or anyone you know switched (or migrated probably) to a Hog or DIR gear configuration and then at some later time switched back to the traditional config?

Without bashing anyone or any style, brand, config, etc what were the reasons for this?

I have two sets. A hog set with 2x 12l cylinders and a "traditional" set with 1x 15l. The shop makes me (ahem... strongly suggests) that I wear the single tank rig for teaching, which I do.

Qualitatively I honestly don't notice any difference in my trim or buoyancy control. It's equally good in both. What I do notice is that I"m equally mobile under water with a 2x12l set as I am with the 15l tank. That stands to reason given that there isn't very much different in the net weight of the two sets and my total "profile" under water is a little lower with the two smaller tanks on my back, which seems to compensate.

On the whole, I think this whole BP/W versus traditional jacket discussion has been blown WAY out of proportion. Frankly, if you can't dive in one then you won't be able to dive in the other either....

R..

Frankly, if you can't dive in one then you won't be able to dive in the other either....

That pretty much sums it up for me too.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom