Has anyone seen one of these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Guccione

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
SPG.jpgThis is a Scubapro SPG. Someone gave me over 30 years ago. Would like to know how old it is. The US PAT. number is 3.131.66
Thanks for your help.

it is a stem gauge.
It was introduced by Healthways in the 1960s as "Submersible stem gauge" Part number 1604, price $17.95.

The unit pictured does not appear to be a Healthways unit, rather a much later model from, at this time unknown, company.

Mark can you provide any attitional markings or names?

SDM

I have one. Scubapro made them in the 60's also. If working they virbrate and make a humming noise when the pressure gets around 300 lbs. They are scarce.

I have one. Scubapro made them in the 60's also. If working they virbrate and make a humming noise when the pressure gets around 300 lbs. They are scarce.

Thanks Mike, I kinda figured it was from the 60's, based on Sam telling me Healthways had it in there product line up.

---------- Post added January 15th, 2013 at 05:06 PM ----------

it is a stem gauge.
It was introduced by Healthways in the 1960s as "Submersible stem gauge" Part number 1604, price $17.95.

The unit pictured does not appear to be a Healthways unit, rather a much later model from, at this time unknown, company.

Mark can you provide any attitional markings or names?

SDM
Thanks Sam. This one is Scuba Pro US PAT. number is 3.131.66

Mike, do you still dive with the stem gauge? I have tested the gauge, never took it in the water.

Mark,
I dove one -- they were a small step in the evolutional development of diving gauges.

Difficult to read, not accurate and after a period of usage tended to develop a small leak path from the migration of the stem, corrosion and sand.

Were never big in So Cal for those reasons.

MIKE --What year in SCUBA Pro catalog?

SDM

Hello Mark I haven't used it yet. Maybe this summer. I want to have the U.S.Divers tank banger valve along wth the Scubapro or Healthways honker first stage and this gauge. I am sure I will sound like a one man band when the pressure gets low. BJ cool stem gauges. I have the Healthways one. The sea lion is very nice. Sam the Scubapro sonic depth gauge was sold in the 1964 to 67 maybe 68 Scubapro cataloges.

Hey, Mark... you just now pull that out of your dive bag? Scubapro evolved out of the purchased of the assets of Healthways in the 1960s (1963?) so no surprise that this would be listed in both catalogs. Although I was diving back in that era, I couldn't afford any frills so I never used one!

Hello Mark I haven't used it yet. Maybe this summer. I want to have the U.S.Divers tank banger valve along wth the Scubapro or Healthways honker first stage and this gauge. I am sure I will sound like a one man band when the pressure gets low. BJ cool stem gauges. I have the Healthways one. The sea lion is very nice. Sam the Scubapro sonic depth gauge was sold in the 1964 to 67 maybe 68 Scubapro cataloges.
You believe in redundancy, don't you. :wink: It would be interesting to know which was more distinctive, the U.S. Divers tank banger valve, the Healhways Scubair 300 or the Scubapro Mk VII (?) sonic regulator.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom