Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They want his firstborn for payment to repair it.

You don't appear to have children for you don't know what a first born or a fifth born cost these days but they certainly cost many orders of magnitude more than what it costs to replace a shoulder strap for a bc :p

The point is a BP + harness is about as simple as anything can get. Minimalist as it were.

And??? Does that make it "better" for EVERYONE for ALL situations? It doesn't at all. You need to look at the diver from a global system point of view not a microscopic point of view, there is nothing simple about diving or the diver's "system." It just differs when the "stuff" goes on the the parts of the system.

BTW, a wheelbarrow is far simpler than a Mercedes S600 indeed and has many less parts that may fail but they aren't the same and aren't meant to do the same job.

I own several BC's, BP/W and jack and back inflate, and I use each one of them for different purposes. I Definitely don't need a BP/W for single tank diving and it really doesn't add anything or is better than the others I use for single tank diving. Nothing at all. Heck, my SP classic can handle everything, including doubles, without any issues and is very comfortable. I now, after 15 years of extensive use, put it on the rack as a spare for the dive school simply because I had it for soooo long, and without any issues at all, and I wanted to try newer systems (I got bored with it frankly). The Classic Stab jacket is so simple, extremely durable, easy to use and mange and can work as a surface flotation device.

You're right. I shouldn't care that new divers are being lead by the nose to buy expensive, overcomplex, unreliable, over-engineered, bulky, ill-fitting kit that doesn't help them dive and frequently works against them for their trim and buoyancy.

Pity more people don't feel like that.

Hahahahah, are you looking to win a prize for saving the world and divers from evil? Seriously, get over yourself please.

BTW, you are WRONG and grossly exaggerating in a self-serving way. Being dramatic and making stuff up doesn't make your dogma right or suitable for everyone out there.

The point is a BP + harness is about as simple as anything can get. Minimalist as it were.

But selecting a BP/W setup is not simple to the average OW diver who'll only be doing single tank rec. dives. Back when I was researching for my current BP/W setup, I almost went for a ScubaPro Hydros instead; talk of reliability issues and some people tilting in the water, off trim, put me off. But let's look at this from the viewpoint of most OW rec. divers who'll never dive 2 tanks, dropping in at the dive shop to browse and maybe buy.

ScubaPro Hydros - there's only the one brand, it's reputable, and not a lot of decisions to make. Try it on for fit and pick a size. You may or may not want to buy a pocket for accessories.

BP/W - Well, we got a few questions for you...

1.) There are a number of brands. Dive Rite, Hollis, Hog, Deep6, Zeagle, OMS, Halcyon...
2.) Aluminum or steel back plate? Oh, and what about those other material options?
3.) Do you want a single tank adapter? Some wings have a sort of stabilizer built-in and some don't. Do you know about that, and whether the one you want has that? Do you know whether you need a STA, or what the con.s of using one might be?
4.) What wing do you want? Did someone mention a donut design bladder might be less prone to trap air on one side? You didn't want a dual bladder, did you? Probably not necessary. Some wings have denser material thickness that others; some are supposed to be tougher.
5.) Some people are fond of one piece webbing (What's webbing? The strap stuff). But would've having separate pieces for upper and lower parts mean if you needed to replace one, you wouldn't have to do the whole thing?
6.) In theory you could later upgrade to a larger wing and dive doubles. But that wing may be surprisingly expensive, and after you watch the complexity of threading the webbing, you might decide if you ever decide to get into doubles (you probably won't), you'll get another setup...not swap wings back and forth.
7.) You want a crotch strap with that?

From the perspective of the new OW diver, the Hydros is a much simpler path than trying to make an informed decision about a BP/W.

But selecting a BP/W setup is not simple to the average OW diver who'll only be doing single tank rec. dives. Back when I was researching for my current BP/W setup, I almost went for a ScubaPro Hydros instead; talk of reliability issues and some people tilting in the water, off trim, put me off. But let's look at this from the viewpoint of most OW rec. divers who'll never dive 2 tanks, dropping in at the dive shop to browse and maybe buy.

ScubaPro Hydros - there's only the one brand, it's reputable, and not a lot of decisions to make. Try it on for fit and pick a size. You may or may not want to buy a pocket for accessories.

1.) There are a number of brands. Dive Rite, Hollis, Hog, Deep6, Zeagle, OMS, Halcyon...
2.) Aluminum or steel back plate? Oh, and what about those other material options?
3.) Do you want a single tank adapter? Some wings have a sort of stabilizer built-in and some don't. Do you know about that, and whether the one you want has that? Do you know whether you need a STA, or what the con.s of using one might be?
4.) What wing do you want? Did someone mention a donut design bladder might be less prone to trap air on one side? You didn't want a dual bladder, did you? Probably not necessary. Some wings have denser material thickness that others; some are supposed to be tougher.
5.) Some people are fond of one piece webbing (What's webbing? The strap stuff). But would've having separate pieces for upper and lower parts mean if you needed to replace one, you wouldn't have to do the whole thing?
6.) In theory you could later upgrade to a larger wing and dive doubles. But that wing may be surprisingly expensive, and after you watch the complexity of threading the webbing, you might decide if you ever decide to get into doubles (you probably won't), you'll get another setup...not swap wings back and forth.

From the perspective of the new OW diver, the Hydros is a much simpler path than trying to make an informed decision about a BP/W.

Exactly and add to it the "training/orientation" they need to be able to use the BP/W kit correctly and properly and the million question they will have and them having to find a competent person to help them and answer their questions (I am talking about the BP/W kit here). I don't see a compelling reason for a recreational diver to buy a BP/W vs. the Hydros or the like. The Hydros can do everything the recreational diver (at all levels) needs except double tank set up. Some people argue and push the BP/W using the argument that the same BP/W can be used between single and double kits which is BS in my experience. I have a BP/W kit for single tank use and another BP/W for double tank set up and they two don't mix at all. It is a lie to say that you use the same plate/harness set up for both, it just won't work easily and conveniently. For single tank setup, I don't see a benefit for the BP/W over the Hydros/Jacket in my experience. In fact, in some scenarios, I prefer my SP jacket BC (I forget what model but a very high end SP jacket) for these instances nothing else.

This is why I think BP/W systems need to be assembled and in a dive shop on display and have sales staff that know what they’re selling and can explain them. They just need to pick a brand and system and stick with it. The instructors working for the shop would need to be wearing them. They would need to be in the rental fleet. It could be any system from any manufacturer. The shop could even mix and match provided they knew what to order and assemble units ready to go. They would need to be able to fit the customer, and provide this free after they purchased the unit.
The way it is now with the free-for-all on the internet with online dealers then all sorts of erroneous info from every know-it-all on some forum is way too confusing for a newbie that has no clue about BP/W systems. For something that was supposed to be so simple, it has become probably the single most complicated and confusing mess when it comes to dive gear.
That’s why products like jacket BC’s and the Hydros do so well IS because they are a ready to go unit and dive shops gladly stock them and sell them. Convenience is the key word here.
If BP/W units were assembled and marketed the same way they would be a lot more popular.
New divers need to be spoon fed and educated, they need to be taken care of, hopefully by honest people.

This is why I think BP/W systems need to be assembled and in a dive shop on display and have sales staff that know what they’re selling and can explain them. They just need to pick a brand and system and stick with it. The instructors working for the shop would need to be wearing them. They would need to be in the rental fleet. It could be any system from any manufacturer. The shop could even mix and match provided they knew what to order and assemble units ready to go. They would need to be able to fit the customer, and provide this free after they purchased the unit.
The way it is now with the free-for-all on the internet with online dealers then all sorts of erroneous info from every know-it-all on some forum is way too confusing for a newbie that has no clue about BP/W systems. For something that was supposed to be so simple, it has become probably the single most complicated and confusing mess when it comes to dive gear.

Why do they need to do that at all? For the recreational diver, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

New divers need to be spoon fed and educated, they need to be taken care of, hopefully by honest people
Love it, :acclaim: hope springs eternal.....
So true though.

Struth, hark at you lot... Anything for an easy life eh?

A BP/W setup is more compact, lighter (with the right BP), more reliable, much more simple and works a lot better in terms of trim and buoyancy. Simplicity means things are easier.

But hey, do please all pile in as you defend the lousy equipment, training and skills they've all been given...

Back
Top Bottom