Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I talked to our SP rep back in June. He said this issue of the wing bungees being able to shift from side to side is already on their radar and they have an update forthcoming. But, I have no timeframe and my guess is that it will be a quiet update to the production line - not something that they send out to dealers to do to all previously-sold units.

FWIW, I talked to our SP rep back in June. He said this issue of the wing bungees being able to shift from side to side is already on their radar and they have an update forthcoming. But, I have no timeframe and my guess is that it will be a quiet update to the production line - not something that they send out to dealers to do to all previously-sold units.
Is there a relatively easy DIY fix? Next time I'm in a shop, I will have to take a closer look at the Hydros Pro

Well, I contacted Scubapro and this was their answer:

--------
Thank you for contacting SCUBAPRO, and for your support.

It is unfortunate to hear about the recurring problems you are experiencing regarding buoyancy with your Hydros Pro BCD. We strongly recommend visiting your local authorized SCUBAPRO dealer to have your BCD evaluated. To obtain warranty service, repair and/or replacement you must deliver the affected component or part, together with your proof of purchase to your local authorized SCUBAPRO dealer or the original dive shop where you have purchased from. Should you not have a receipt on hand the original dive shop shall have a proof of sale. Our authorized dealer will then may send your BCD to SCUBAPRO for further evaluation. To locate a dealer in your area you can do so by following this link https://www.scubapro.com/where-to-buy If there is anything else we can assist you with, please let us know.
--------

Based on our discussion here I wonder if there is any point to do this though...

Is there a relatively easy DIY fix? Next time I'm in a shop, I will have to take a closer look at the Hydros Pro

I haven't really looked at mine to eval for a simple DIY fix... but I'm pretty sure it would be easy. Probably involving some strategically placed zip ties. Now that I understand what was happening (when I seemed to be leaning), it's such a non-issue that I never think about trying to DIY anything when I'm at home (unless I'm reading about it on SB...). :D

Yes, this movement of the wing has been a problem with the Hydros.

Correct, a few strategically placed zip ties will fix the problem. Scubapro has fixed the problem on current Hydros by putting a metal band in the middle of the bungee so it does not move from side to side.

Same for me, it happens when I lean/tilt to one side(usually to look back) and the air will move to the "higher" side and gets trapped. I just tilt/lean to the opposite side and usually the air will move back...

@beaverdivers , do you believe it would be possible to get the "metal band" that the newer HydrosPro has and install it?

Thanks beaverdivers ! I`d also be very interested in any kind of solution, be that DIY with ties or even better a retrofit with the metal band upgrade you mentioned.

=> So...how would I strategically place the ties best for this to work ?

I've done nearly 70 dives with mine in varying conditions - still think you've got it all wrong. Mine felt awkward initially, but after playing with it for a while, I've got it just how I like it.

Sounds like a familiar problem, and is more likely related to too much air in the BCD.

Just my opinion, of course ...

Correct, a few strategically placed zip ties will fix the problem. Scubapro has fixed the problem on current Hydros by putting a metal band in the middle of the bungee so it does not move from side to side.
So as someone planning to purchase a Hydros Pro in the coming weeks, this issue should have no effect on me. Excellent!

Can you send a pic to show how this is accomplished please?

Back
Top Bottom