Has Anyone Used this Book by Vance Harlow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone can provide me with a review and value report regarding Vance Harlow's SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR. I do have a bit of self taught dive equipment technical ability, however, I am looking to advance from that and obtain a complete and proper maintenance, test, and servicing reference that starts you at the grass roots and guides you through to servicing your own regulator.

If anyone has used this book I'd appreciate reading your thoughts

Thanks

Salt_Water_Cowboy:
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone can provide me with a review and value report regarding Vance Harlow's SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR. I do have a bit of self taught dive equipment technical ability, however, I am looking to advance from that and obtain a complete and proper maintenance, test, and servicing reference that starts you at the grass roots and guides you through to servicing your own regulator.

Thanks

I guess there are two things to say about this.

The first is that this book is a must-have/must-read if you have any interest at all in how your regulator works. I think it's the best source of general information about regulator maintenance we have right now and it is a good read (ie not boring) considering the subject. Since it's written as a general knowledge book it is a little short on details about servicing specific regulators and there are some models which aren't covered at all. In short. Excellent stuff but not quite enough to start tearing apart your regulator the day you're finished reading it.

In other words.... There is no substitute for experience.

I think if you want to start actually maintaining your own regs then you should have someone show you how to take yours apart and put it back together again. Aside from the Harlow book I also have the service book for my particular regulators which contains a little more specific information about my regs and a step-by-step "cook book" for servicing them.

R..

The Harlow book is the best starting point out there. Clear, no-nonsense, informative, and worth the $50 it costs. A must have for anyone wanting to get into servicing their regs. It, a blow-up schematic of your regs, and the repair manual for them if you can find it (if you can't, then ask around for info/advice) will get you far in the project. Take the usual common-sense precautions--i.e., remember that these things are life support equip--and you are well along. Just my initial impressions...

Kevin

Salt_Water_Cowboy:
Hi All

Thanks

You'd definitely be well off to get someone who knows the reg to take you through it a few times. I assume there is a tech nearby who does your service now.... perhaps he or she would be so good as to let you watch them service it.
Do you have a source for replacement parts?

Thanks All

I seem to be getting the common point that whatever book or manual that I get its best to have someone physically there to show me how its done or atleast be there to catch me before I make any major boo boos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom