Haskel AGD-62 Booster Pump a good choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtsfour

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found a used Haskel AGD-62 SCUBAMP for sale. I am thinking about getting it if it is listed cheap enough.

I don’t know a lot about booster pumps so I figured id ask here.

Is the pump ratio too high to be useful as a standard SCUBA booster pump? With 150 PSI drive gas it is boosting to 9,300PSI.

How much would it cost to get this replumbed, rebuilt and cleaned for oxygen use?

The primary things I would use a booster for is to mix Deco bottles and to cave fill LPs

Anything else I should know? Thanks for the help.

This air booster was designed to take a lower pressure compressor gas and boost it up to 3000psi - the design basically dates from back when 3000psi al80s were "newfangled" or at a fire dept to boost their compressor output to 5000psi SCBAs

Hence the budge pricing. It won't do what want even if you O2 cleaned it (which nobody will do and parts don't exist). It uses the supply gas as boost gas so it would need major replumbing and the whole project you describe is not cost effective at all.

This air booster was designed to take a lower pressure compressor gas and boost it up to 3000psi - the design basically dates from back when 3000psi al80s were "newfangled" or at a fire dept to boost their compressor output to 5000psi SCBAs

Hence the budge pricing. It won't do what want even if you O2 cleaned it (which nobody will do and parts don't exist). It uses the supply gas as boost gas so it would need major replumbing and the whole project you describe is not cost effective at all.
So the parts to O2 clean an AGD-62 don’t exist?

If I could get it for cheap( 500$-1000$) would it still not be cost effective to replumb it as a standard booster pump?

Thanks for the help.

So the parts to O2 clean an AGD-62 don’t exist?

If I could get it for cheap( 500$-1000$) would it still not be cost effective to replumb it as a standard booster pump?

Thanks for the help.
A Haskel rebuild kit for that 1) will cost you more than a brand new USUN actually designed for O2 service 2) Haskel doesnt make an o2 compatible rebuild kit for that booster 3) there is minimal separation of the drive gas from the boost gas and its WAYYY beyond a novice level exercise to even try that. So no, even at $500 you are wasting your money. That's why it looks so cheap - supply & demand and nobody wants it.

I wonder where else you could obtain such priceless advice.

A Haskel rebuild kit for that 1) will cost you more than a brand new USUN actually designed for O2 service 2) Haskel doesnt make an o2 compatible rebuild kit for that booster 3) there is minimal separation of the drive gas from the boost gas and its WAYYY beyond a novice level exercise to even try that. So no, even at $500 you are wasting your money. That's why it looks so cheap - supply & demand and nobody wants it.
Thanks for the advice.

I have rebuilt an awful lot of scubamps and I have never seen one that shares drive and source gas. Many are plumbed that way with an HP regulator feeding into the drive, but they are completely separate circuits within the booster itself.
It wouldn't be my first or even third choice as an oxygen booster, but they are a damned good heavy use booster if you are trying to top up tanks for cave fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom