Have C5050, can I get help on white balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to adjust my white balance underwater for my Oly C5050-Z. I've heard of people calibrating it to an underwater dive slate, but would love some "hold my hand" advice. Thanks so much. And when Dee replies - thanks Dee, you're like a darn encyclopedia. I want your knowledge base!

I see in your other post, the WB should only be adusted without the use of strobes? Does this procedure make non-flash pictures better? I am working on getting my strobe, but as of now I only have the 5050 and an Ike housing. The pictures came out fair at best.

Yes. Your camera is very smart if you let it be. By manually calibrating the WB to something you know to be white, the camera will use that as a base line to add red into the picture to correct the loss of it.

ReyeR recently posted that if you calibrated the WB using a strobe or internal flash it would work the same way, but I've never tried it and can't verify it personally. I use the manual WB when I can't use a strobe or internal flash for some reason or don't want to. The wreck photos in my Roatan '04 albums were taken at 60-70ft using only manual WB.

Sorry Dee. Thanks again tho.

KidK9:
Sorry Dee. Thanks again tho.

No problem. But it's always a good idea to scroll through the last few days posts to see if your question has already been asked. It's to your advantage to do so because after answering the same questions so often, I (we) tend to just answer the basic question and leave out alot of the tips and hints assocciated with it.

It's a lot easier underwater if someone else can hold the slate while you hold the camera in your left hand and press buttons with your right hand. I learned that the hard way!

Jester:
It's a lot easier underwater if someone else can hold the slate while you hold the camera in your left hand and press buttons with your right hand. I learned that the hard way!

Yeah....but get ready for everyone to comment about you taking pictures of your slate...over and over and over! :wink:

Yeah....but get ready for everyone to comment about you taking pictures of your slate...over and over and over!

I could just tell them how many houndreds of pics I've taken of my keyboard. That ought to scare them enough to keep 'em quiet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom