Have you ever seen the crown-of-thorns starfish in the Great Barrier Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,
My name is Fernanda Fadel and I am currently a Master‘s student at the Ludwig-Maximilians-University of Munich (LMU), part of the graduate program in Evolution, Ecology and Systematics (EES-LMU).
For my thesis project, I am gathering data on crown-of-thorns starfish (Acanthaster planci) outbreaks and sightings on the Great Barrier Reef to analyze migration patterns of adult crown-of-thorns starfish, as a possible explanation for the outbreak phenomenon of this species.

If you have been to Great Barrier Reef, have seen the crown-of-thorns starfish, and would like to help me:
Please send me an e-mail at f.fadel@campus.lmu.de to request the questionnaire form.
I mainly need location, date and number of starfish sighted. But any extra information is also appreciated.

Links for further information on the crown-of-thorns starfish:
CRC Reef Research Centre
COTS - Home

Thank you for your attention and help,

Fernanda Fadel

Yes, back in 2001 when I dove there with Deep Sea Diver's Den out of Cairns. However, my memory of the sightings is very hazy and I didn't log any of the details

Hi Fernanda,

I've worked on the GBR about for two years from 2008-2010. I've seen the crown of thorns five times in that period but can only remember two of the sightings with enough detail to report on. I'll email you and respond asap.

I have only seen one at flat rock, which is south of the GBR off Moreton Island the almost neon bluish highlights to there dark thorny bodies are very unique and give warning of their poisonous capability, handling them without gloves is tricky(tradesman's hands helps alot).

With increased areas of protection zones, Humphead wrasse and venus tuskfish numbers have increased to a level where they keep COTS in check- they love the toxic stuff, must give them a buzz or a high or something.

I have seen more COTS in Thailand, where overfishing remains a big problem.

Hello,
Thank you for all the replies. Any information is usefull to get an idea of the situation.

ozzydamo, do you remember when you saw this one at flatrock?

Hello,
Thank you for all the replies. Any information is usefull to get an idea of the situation.

ozzydamo, do you remember when you saw this one at flatrock?

Yes Fernanda, that was in April last year, as I said it was only one individual and I haven't seen any since diving regularly in the area(they aren't something I really look for). Weird thing is that their isn't huge amounts of coral there, I would of more so expected it at Flinders reef(5km north of moreton Island).

Back
Top Bottom