Have you ever seen...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stunning wreck. There have been quite a few beautiful wrecks found lately. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Scuba_Steve:
I have to ask Vlada. What was number 1?

The answer to # 1 question is Florida

Imagine a wreck that is a perfect snapshot of what life was in 1890s. On that wreck, it feels like time stood still for 100 yrs.

Florida was one of those early steamers that were still equipped with basic sails riggins (i.e. three masts) - similar to Osborne and Viennna. Is still has anchors attached to the bow as well as capstans displaying the name of the vessel on both ends.

The masts have all fallen but still have intact unusual half-moon crosstrees. The aft cabin is almost intact with two rooms full of collapsed furniture and some shelves

There is also a boiler room, completely intact engine sitting out in the open as room around it collapsed during sinking, stern part with the half buried prop

But all that is nothing compared to what's inside. Florida was a package freighter carrying general merchandise and it's full of china, coffee sets, cans of paint and hudreds of barrells of flour and whiskey - some of them have floated to the ceiling and got stuck there - and we have not had a chance to see half of what's there

It's in 170 to 210 ft

DS1:
I would like to hear your top ten list of the lakes

:wink:

We actually had so much time, we ranked the first 23, but i won't bore you wiht all of them. The choice was influenced by the fact that we both prefer wooden wrecks over steel and we're both photographers, so we'd take a better looking wreck over better penetration wreck any time of the day. We only ranked the ones that at least one of us did.

1. Florida (Huron)
2. Windiate (Huron)
3. Minnedosa (Huron)
4. Jodrey (St. Lawrence)
5. Dunderberg (Huron)
6. Eber Ward (Michigan)
7. Newell Eddy (Huron)
8. Vienna (Superior)
9. Straubenzie (Erie)
10 St James (Erie)

All of these except Eber Ward and VIenna are in 150 to 200 ft range. Those two are in 135 to 150 range

I will be putting some stories and pics for Florida and Windiate next week

As always Vlada and Tom, nice pics.

Pleased you guys got onto two of the premier wrecks off Alpena... agree with your accessment although there's a good argument to be made for the Windiate as number one and SS Florida as #2!

Still watch the video of the Florida's capstan covers from time to time and marvel at the contents of the holds... did you get any snaps of the instrument panel on the boilers?

In any event, well done. Great pics.

Did you do the bow or stern of the Minni? Am going back next summer with Gary and would like to do both... fabulous wreck.

Take care

Doppler:
As always Vlada and Tom, nice pics.

Pleased you guys got onto two of the premier wrecks off Alpena... agree with your accessment although there's a good argument to be made for the Windiate as number one and SS Florida as #2!

Still watch the video of the Florida's capstan covers from time to time and marvel at the contents of the holds... did you get any snaps of the instrument panel on the boilers?

In any event, well done. Great pics.

Did you do the bow or stern of the Minni? Am going back next summer with Gary and would like to do both... fabulous wreck.

Take care

We debated #1 Vs #2 as well, you are right - they are very close. Got the five gauges shot on the engine, but ran outta time to play aroudn the boilers - I was sure glad I could adjust deco on the fly to account for extra 5 min BT ;-))

When we did Minni, we ended up diving the stern twice the first day and got blown off the next day. So, if you have spaces on your summer trip, sign us right on

I would love to see your videos of those wrecks one of these days - may be at Aquasub over the winter?

Back
Top Bottom