Havin a hard time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way, tigrr, one thing that helped me immensely was to put a reg in my mouth, standing in shallow water, NO mask, and just put my head underwater. You'll suddenly realize that you won't suck water. It's your body's natural reaction. Apparently my mind has always thought that if your nose is uncovered underwater, it will suck water the instant you try to inhale. Not true, and a big revelation to me. I think that was one of the things that screwed up my head when clearing the mask. My mind was overruling my natural reactions. Once you relax and know that with a full mask you can still inhale without sucking water, things might settle out.

Sounds like you've gotten lots of good advice. The only thing I can add is to try and relax as much as possible. Diving isn't like most other sports - it's not a competition, and it's not a race. Take your time, go from one exercise to the next at a pace that feels comfortable to you. Make sure that you're comfortable with your mastery of each skill before taking on the next one.

Little by little, step by step, you'll become a much better diver, and have a much better experience in the water.

Sounds like your instructor could use a little training, but we're all human, and even the best of us have bad days, get impatient, and sometimes feel frustrated. Try to speak with him/her offline and express your concern and willingness to put in some extra pool time to learn the fundamentals. Most instructors will respond favorably to this approach. If not, there are lots of other people out there who can help.

Best wishes and safe ascents,
Grier

There isn't much I can add in the sense of advise, just that skills like remove and replace the mask only get better the more you dive and the more you practice them. It's important, however, that you are comfortable with the instructor, and you have done exactly what I would have done, especially regarding the instructor.

From a personal experience standpoing though, it's more important that you learn to master this skill because it's a skill that not only teaches you the mechanics of removing and replacing your mask, but the coordination you need to inhale through your mouth, while your nose is exposed to water, without panicking and inhaling through your nose. Believe me, you don't want to "just get by" on this skill, because, much like it has happened to me (once at 100fsw), if you end up with a constantly flooding mask, you not only need to know how to clear it, or remove and replace it if necessary, but also know how to control your emotions and make a concious effort to shy away from the instincts of inhaling through your nose, remembering that you can inhale through your mouth and exhale through your nose to keep water from trickling up your nose and much worse, from panicking.

Don't give up. It will get better and you won't regret sticking with it!!!!

Dewd, just breath like you are breathing through a straw.............viola, enjoy diving. As for the instructor, who knows, maybe his girlfriend left him that day.

Just thought I would emphaise something that others have said but I have found so important I think it needs to be in Neon lights. DO NOT LET YOURSELF FEEL RUSHED. Just because you are under the water and the instructor points at you for your turn does not mean you have to perform right now. Take a couple of breaths from the regulator and plan out step by step what you are going to do. For me it is 2 breaths from reg, fill mask, two breaths from reg and as I exhale the second one do so through nose to begin clearing. About halfway through the exhale, switch to exhale from reg (just in case) take another breath and finish clearing. From my previous post you know I have not mastered this by a long shot. But the times I have had trouble were the times I broke the rythm just explained. Hang in there and practice at your own pace. I am sure instructors get tired of seeing us newbies having the same problems from class group to class group. It's kind of called burnout. But keep in mind that you are doing this for YOU and therefore need to find the way that works for you. Hang in there and you'll do just fine. TAKE IT SLOW AND EASY.

jstuart1:
For me it is 2 breaths from reg, fill mask, two breaths from reg and as I exhale the second one do so through nose to begin clearing. About halfway through the exhale, switch to exhale from reg (just in case) take another breath and finish clearing. TAKE IT SLOW AND EASY.

This is a good idea and how I started practicing to begin with until I got the hang of it. However, once you get comfortable I would recommend trying to do it during random points of your breathing cycle.

This will be helpful because your buddy will not time kicking off your mask with his fin to your breathing cycle. Just like an out of air diver might yank your regulator out of your mouth while you're inhaling. TAKE IT SLOW AND EASY, but be prepared for any thing. :Wizard:

Thanx for all of the positive responses. This board rocks!!

This was actually a small blessing. My boss is on permanent medical leave and I am always looking for reasons to spend time with her. Her and I are going to practice our snorkel skills together in her pool now. LOL :)

So, lots of snorkeling with no mask is my plan for the weekend. :wink:

TTFN

tiggrr:
\
My problem is I am not the type of person to just give up. There are jerk-offs everywhere and to avoid them would mean never leaving the house. What fun is that?

Did anyone here have 2nd thoughts that maybe this wasn't for them but, turn it around and love SCUBA in the end?
I really loved being under the water and am looking forward to seeing so many things. I just have such a bad taste in my mouth.

Tiggrr,
Many people have trouble removing their masks underwater. I am one of them. I don't like doing it, and it is not easy for me, but I know that I can do it, and that goes a long way to prevent panic. On my checkout dive, I got some water up my nose when I removed and replaced my mask, but I got through it.

Our instructor was great, and that does make a difference. The first few times we removed and replaced in the pool, he held on to our elbows so that we would know he was right there. I know for me this helped a lot. Our instructor was very patient, and I will continue to take my classes from him in the future because of this.

It is unfortunate that you seem to be having trouble with the instructor, but don't get too discouraged. Have you thought about talking to your instructor? That could help. Or, you and a buddy from class, or from elsewhere, can go to the pool with your mask and snorkel and practice in the shallow end. Just don't give up. It is worth it.

It is not uncommon during the alt/air use skill to get the reg upside down. A little water intake is often enough to start the anxious/panic cycle that leads to "bolting".

I have had great success with having students practice "coughing through the reg" early in the confined water course (before reg clearing) and I have heard (seen) the cough when a little swallow occurs rather than a bolt to the surface.

If the Instructor has the advantage of having competent divemasters available during the confined course, he/she should use them for repetitive practice for problem skills.

I had that problem for mask clearing also, eventhough I dived with this fear, I finally conquered it on this last trip I made to the Bahamas, Dive Master Lyndsy explained diffrent techniques to clear the mask, this is the one that worked for me. First flood your mask take a deep breath, then with your pointer finger and ring finger, press them against your mask just below the eyebrow as you are looking up and blow gently until , if it doesn't clear, take another breath, do the fingers again and blow again. I did this exercise for about 45 min. in the pool and I also removed my mask without any problems. And I am greatful to Captin Lyndsy for this accomplishment. He gave me back my confidence in the water.

Back
Top Bottom