Having problems pressurizing during my ascent.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antagonist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yesterday I went diving at around 50' and hand no problems pressurizing during my decent. But on the way up I could feel pressure building up in my left ear as I start to ascend. I went back down a few times to relieve the pressure until I just decided to go for it after a few feet the pressure relieved with a whining noise and of course a little pain. My left year now feels like i have a head cold. What could be causing the problem?

You likely had trouble that you did not realize on the way down that resulted in flooding the mucosa with blood. Be sure to "stay ahead" of the need to equalize on the way down.

It might be a slight barotrauma where fluid gets pushed behind the eardrum. I'm guessing that from the 'head cold' statement you made. Normal protocol for this type of barotrauma would be to stay out of the water for awhile and consult a medical professional.

Dislcaimer: this is pure speculation on my part. if you have any questions you should consult an ENT and discuss that actions that you took leading to your current smptoms

You had what is called a "reverse block". Whether or not you had problems equalizing on the way down (and it's likely you had a little, and perhaps more than you recognized), by the time you went to ascend, your Eustachian tube was swollen and didn't want to let the expanding air out of your middle ear. This is a horrible problem to have underwater, because ascending is the one mandatory diving maneuver, and if your ear won't let you do it, eventually you have to do it anyway. You can do significant damage to your ears (including blowing an eardrum, or worse) if you have to ascend in the face of a block.

Your current symptoms are almost certainly barotrauma. You may consider decongestants like Sudafed or Afrin, anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen, and mechanical solutions like chewing gum, to try to alleviate your symptoms (always assuming you have no contraindications to any of the treatments). If your problem doesn't resolve within a few days, I'd get a good ear exam.

A possible scenario: you descend but do not quite equalize exactly. The negative pressure in your middle ear relative to the water and the rest of your body causes blood to engorge the mucosal tissues that line your Eustachian Tubes. This closes them off and prevents the flow of gas or fluid from your middle ear to your throat. As you ascend the air that is now trapped in your middle ear expands and takes the weakest path our. In the best case it dissects the mucosa and flows out into the pharynx, in a worst case it ruptures your oval window, somewhere in between is the possibility of rupturing your eardrum.

I have quiet of few problems equalizing my ears. I went to an ENT and I was prescribed Nasaquort CQ. I had heard that one could take sudafed and acquire the same results. But i Had read this post, causing me to keep away from sudafed.
Nitrox and Sudafed [Archive] - ScubaBoard

Read the second post.

The biggest thing to do is just relax. Your tubes will tighten up a little bit if you are stressed, causing equalization to almost be impossible.

A few other tips for trying to equalize. : tilt the problem causing side up towards the surface; make sure your mask straps are above your ears; personally, i have noticed its a lot easier to equalize if your mask is off.

There are also several videos instructing a various amount of equalizing techniques that one could use.

:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom