Hawai'i advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikya

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

So I've decided for Hawaii over new year's eve. I know, probably the most expensive time but work schedule...

Going for advanced open water certification.
So here are my questions:

Maui or Big Island?
Which is the best for diving for my level of experience?
Any recommendation for a PADI dive shop/school?
The active volcanoes and waterfall hikes on the Big Island are so calling my name...

Here are the possible time frames:

day 1 travel, day 2-3-4 advanced certification, day 5 need to stay at sea level (travel by boat to the other island?), day 6 hike, day 7 hike and fly back to New York in the evening.

OR

day 1 travel, day 2-3-4 advanced certification, day 5 stay sea level on same island, day 6 hike, day 7 hike and fly back.

Is a boat between the two islands even a possibility? Does it make the trip a lot more expensive? Is it worth it? Any thoughts, ideas, are very very much welcome...

We're going to Hawaii next month and spending a week on Maui and a week on the big island. We'll be able to fill you in when we get back!

I'm on the fence as to which island I prefer the diving. I'd would say the Big Island is a little better. But even though I've done a lot more dives there, I've mostly had more memorable dives on Maui. Either will be fine for your level and to take AOW, so I'd pick by what you want to do topside. If you do the Big Island definitely plan to do the Manta night dive.

I wouldn't try to split a 1 week trip between islands - even if there was a boat, which there I don't think there is. (There was the Hawaii superferry for a little while but I believe it's out of business.) You could easily spend 2 weeks diving and hiking/sightseeing on a single island.

One advantage of Maui is that you can actually dive 4 different islands: Maui, Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai. During the winter there is also the highest concentration of Humpback whales in the channel between the 4 islands, allowing you to be guaranteed of multiple whale sightings above water, and listening to heart pounding whale song underwater...and a sighting if you're extremely lucky (super rare though).

Although Maui doesn't have the Manta dive that the Big Island does, you can dive at Manta Point where there's a Manta cleaning station and often multiple Mantas there each evening.

Bottom line, for a 1-week trip to Hawaii you'll really be better off picking one island and not bothering with trying to do the island hopper.

If you only have one week and you are going to spend most of the time diving go to Maui. The big island deserves at least 2 weeks. I like diving with Ed Robinsons on Maui. They also have a cottage you can stay in-of the beaten path but the price is right.

Hello all,

So I've decided for Hawaii over new year's eve. I know, probably the most expensive time but work schedule...

Going for advanced open water certification.
So here are my questions:

Maui or Big Island?
Which is the best for diving for my level of experience?
Any recommendation for a PADI dive shop/school?
The active volcanoes and waterfall hikes on the Big Island are so calling my name...

Here are the possible time frames:

day 1 travel, day 2-3-4 advanced certification, day 5 need to stay at sea level (travel by boat to the other island?), day 6 hike, day 7 hike and fly back to New York in the evening.

OR

day 1 travel, day 2-3-4 advanced certification, day 5 stay sea level on same island, day 6 hike, day 7 hike and fly back.

Is a boat between the two islands even a possibility? Does it make the trip a lot more expensive? Is it worth it? Any thoughts, ideas, are very very much welcome...
There is no interisland boat available. I'd say the Big Island will best fill your needs without a plane flight, the volcanos and waterfalls are here and you need not go over 5,000 feet up. Try Jack's Diving Locker.

Keep in mind that New Year's week is uber-high season. IMO you should be making decisions soon so you can still get a seat on a dive boat, as well as finding accommodations in your price range.

For example, we dive with Ed Robinsons and by this time last year, there weren't too many choices for space on charters during New Years anymore. Since many of the dive operators have repeat customers, especially that time of year, they often book up very early.

Hello everyone and thank you so so very much for all the info. But as I am reading you guys I'm thinking that only allowing 1 week to experience Hawaii from New York and being so late in the game regarding reservations, I should postpone to either this summer or next winter. Meanwhile save more money to make it a 2 week trip.

So that leads me to my next question what would be a cheap and easy/close New Year eve diving getaway from New York. If AOW possible, even better. I thought about Bermuda but the water is going to be mad cold there, no?
Or the Bahamas Out Islands but I can't find any flights that go there from New York...

Any thoughts? Sorry to be so demanding but I have been doing some web research for several days and my head is spinning with no real result...

Look into one of Dutch Antilles Islands, or "ABC" (Aruba, Bonaire, or Curacao). It's about as south as you can go in the Caribbean. I've done Curacao over the new year's holiday and water temp was very warm (some people didn't wear wetsuits). I rented a car to drive around the island and stayed at Kura Hulanda resort on west end of island, which has a great dive shop and some of the best dive locations, but not sure if they do AOW training?

Back
Top Bottom