Hawaii suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The whale season is typically early Dec. to Late May. By law you can't approach the whales closer than 100 yds. while on a boat so a liveaboard is redundant since the dayboats get you out to the same places. There's only one liveaboard in Hawaii anyway - the Kona Aggressor. It travels along the coastline and is sometimes called the cellphone liveaboard since yours will work most of the way except maybe the far south end of the island. https://www.aggressor.com/kona.php

I'm not positive but I don't even think you're allowed to approach them underwater - they have to initiate the contact.

Here's some Maui info: FAQs | Save Our Oceans I'm sure the Kona whalewatch tours have similar websites.

You'll get whales on the dayboats in whale season--but usually only whalesong. Underwater sightings are pretty rare--libeaboard or dayboat. In the summer I often see Tiger sharks from the boat (although only once while diving). The caveat: a liveboard (Kona Aggressor) is really the only easy way to get in more than 2 boat dives every day in Kona..although you could shoredive and get 4 (if you really push). Also, the Aggressor (while staying close to the coast) goes from North Kohala all the way down to SouthPoint (Rainbow Reef)--so it definitely covers dive sites you would not see from a day boat.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to have a think about what I want to do. I will be travelling alone so can't just do the road tripping/shore dive angle. I'm also not a huge fan of massive five boats that I experienced in Miami, so I'm sure if that's what's common in Hawaii too?

It also seems rather pricey compared to what I'm used to. Maybe it's just a bad exchange rate?

But thanks for the input so far. If there's any suggestions for solo divers Id be keen to know that too. Ie dive clubs/hotels for divers.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also think that Kona Hawaii is a great destination and the night dive with Mantas is among my most memorable dives. Watching the formation of lava pillows underwater was also an unusual experience. You will see a lot of healthy hard corals and loads of sea life, including brazen octopuses that swim around during the day.

Since you are traveling alone take a look at the Kona Aggressor liveaboard; it makes things very easy. I don't suggest the single supplement because that would be prohibitively expensive but I understand that they will either pair you up with another single diver of the same gender or let you have a private cabin if they don't sell out the boat - no guarantees.

You will get to do a lot of dives, including many of the more remote areas around the island and the manta night dive. The liveaboard trip may seem expensive but keep in mind that it includes just about everything: food, diving, lodging, and complimentary beer and wine. The diving is very easy and you can do 4 to 5 dives per day with no problems, including night dives. The divemasters' tips are extra - and they deserve them!

We remember the Kona Aggressor as one of our favorite liveaboard trips and are happy to recommend it to others.

https://www.aggressor.com/upload/KONAKBYG.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom