Hawaiian whitetips on National Geographic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HIshark

Registered
Reaction score
Dear all, my name is Nick Whitney and I'm the guy studying whitetip reef sharks at UH. Thanks so much to Catherine for directing me to Scubaboard.

We're trying to analyze whitetip movements patterns throughout the islands using several methods, one of which is photo-identification.

As most of you probably know, whitetips have dark spots on their sides that are unique for each individual, and can be used like a "natural tag" to track how far that shark has moved, how long it stays in an area, how often it uses a certain cave or ledge, etc.

The catch is that we need pictures - as many pictures as possible from local divers!

Please help us spread the word and check out http://whitetip.hawaii.edu for more info!

You can also catch a 12-minute segment of our project on National Geographic this Thursday (more info on the website above).

Mahalo!
Nick Whitney

HIshark:
Dear all, my name is Nick Whitney and I'm the guy studying whitetip reef sharks at UH. Thanks so much to Catherine for directing me to Scubaboard.

We're trying to analyze whitetip movements patterns throughout the islands using several methods, one of which is photo-identification.

As most of you probably know, whitetips have dark spots on their sides that are unique for each individual, and can be used like a "natural tag" to track how far that shark has moved, how long it stays in an area, how often it uses a certain cave or ledge, etc.

The catch is that we need pictures - as many pictures as possible from local divers!

Please help us spread the word and check out http://whitetip.hawaii.edu for more info!

You can also catch a 12-minute segment of our project on National Geographic this Thursday (more info on the website above).

Mahalo!
Nick Whitney

Nick I have about 50 pics and some video of what I believe are the same two baby white tips I have been shooting over the past month or so. I think it would be too difficult to try and email you these so if you would like I can send you the link from yahoo photos, and let you figure out which you want and then create a disk and mail it to you.

Manny

Sharkbaithawaii:
Nick I have about 50 pics and some video of what I believe are the same two baby white tips I have been shooting over the past month or so. I think it would be too difficult to try and email you these so if you would like I can send you the link from yahoo photos, and let you figure out which you want and then create a disk and mail it to you.

Manny

Manny, I don't think Nick is on Scubaboard much. I think you should e-mail him or PM so that he gets your message.

catherine96821:
Manny, I don't think Nick is on Scubaboard much. I think you should e-mail him or PM so that he gets your message.

Thanks for the info. Will try emailing him.

Sharkbaithawaii:
Thanks for the info. Will try emailing him.
Hi guys. Catherine is right, I'm not on the board much. But apparently because I'm subscribed to this thread, I get email updates when someone has replied.

Manny-thanks so much for the photo offer. We'd be thrilled to take a look at them and include them in our database. Your Yahoo photos link idea sounds good to me. Please send link to whitetip@hawaii.edu Thanks so much!!!

Aloha Nick!

Welcome to the SCUBABOARD! Great job on the TV show. You're a really good freediver and not a bad shot with a speargun either! Everyone I know that saw the show enjoyed it. I was in the "Dens of Danger" today and saw one 4'-5' whitetip. It's the first one I've seen there in a couple of weeks. They just haven't been around much lately. It was the same one with the fish hook in his mouth that we've been seeing for months now. Conditions were decent although a bit surgy and murkier than normal.

See you on the board!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom