Hawk Eye Handheld Digital Sonar System, DF2200PX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey_Wulff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anybody had any experience of using one of these - good or bad? It looks like it might be very useful for determining bottom depth, which would be particularly helpful for a number of our shore dive sites here in southern CA.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUDSS.html

Thanks for help.

Grey_Wulff

I used a much older version of the first flashlight sonar and found it very helpful for what we were doing. I carried it on the Waverunner I was using as a dive platform to find structure and I used it on some shore dives when we weren’t sure how far to swim out to a wall. The most unusual use I found was when we were trying to track around a wall in low vis and we could use it horizontally to keep a fixed distance from the wall. I also used it horizontally to find an old submerged bridge we were searching for.

Grey_Wulff:
Has anybody had any experience of using one of these - good or bad? It looks like it might be very useful for determining bottom depth, which would be particularly helpful for a number of our shore dive sites here in southern CA.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUDSS.html

Thanks for help.

Grey_Wulff

Got if for float tube fishing. Essential.

Have been using it lately for shore diving - mostly so on the kick out I can take depth readings for the drop.

Never an issue. Love it!

Got it on eBay (big shock there, Ken) last summer for a bit less than this.

---
Ken

Resurrecting an old thread here (see also the other thread), but my DF2200PX should be here tomorrow (in time to use it this weekend, yipee!). In case anyone's wondering (or will be after seeing this thread come back up), it's apparently made by (distributed by?) Norcross Marine. It took me a while to figure that out.

They have product information about it, and even the manual (pdf) is available online.

Incidentally, I can't help but wonder about the knowledgebase entry that says: "Our sonar devices will not work in swimming pools, garbage cans, buckets, bath tubs or toilets. They must be used in open bodies of water to function properly." (emphasis mine)

TOILETS?!?

Anyway, I'll have to try it out this weekend (in open water, not a toilet!). There was a guy on my Rescue / Search & Recovery checkout trip that had an older bazooka-style handheld sounder, and since we got blown out of the Gulf on all four attempts (saving me hundreds of dollars in boat and nitrox fill costs), I figured I could splurge and get one now. (Plus, it'll be useful for the lake dives we're planning this weekend.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom