HC1 questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WyCal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Mr. Wycal is looking at getting an HC1 and a housing for it. He is in the film industry, and would use it both professionally and personally. He'd like to get some feedback from people who have had some experience with it.

If you have one, how do you like it, ie quality of video, quality of unit, ease of use, etc.? Why did you choose it over something else? Did you get it to use primarily underwater?

What kind of housing do you use, and why do you like it, or don't like it? Which housing would you rather have?

If you considered one and bought something else, what made you choose the other?

Thanks

Might want to check out Digital Diver I am just getting started in UW video and chose not to go with the HC1. Just not sold on the HD cameras as of yet. Figured that in a couple of years they will drop a few more hundered and will be ten times better.
Also remember that you are going to have to have HD software to edit the HD video. Also a good computer is in line. Since I wasn't willing to drop that much money at once I chose not to go with HD.

Ocean Images & Amphibico both make a housing for it that I know of. Just depends upon how much you want to shell out. I would say go with the electronic controls but that limits you with the controls.

If you are currently looking for a nice, high end video camera system, then the HC1 is definitely a top option. It is a compact HD camera with a high quality output. Its a very simple system to use. There are many housings available for it in a variety of price ranges...from the lower priced mechanical (Ikelite and Equinox) to the luxurious mechanical controls of Gates and the electronically controlled Light & Motion.

There are pluses and minuses of both the electronic and the Manual...I believe these have been discussed repeatedly in the forums.

The big problem with HD right now if of course editing and sharing with others. The computers and the software are definitely more reasonable now, however to save to a disc, you would have to down convert the HD format to SD...I know it doesnt make sense to do that, but for now we cannot save HD footage to a disc...This will be taken care of in the very near future as Sony and other manufacturers are working hard on a solution. This is just a temporary issue...but at least all of your original footage is shot in HD so you do have it when everything is HD compatible. I feel that to invest at least a few thousand dollars in an SD system that is on its way out is pointless. Instead you can be a bit ahead of the game, maybe not take full advantage of the system at the current time...but you would basically be "growing into" the HD system over the upcoming years.

Now, you did mention professionally. If you are doing this professionallly, I would highly suggest going the route of the FX1/Z1. Although more costly and much larger in size..there is a signficant difference in the quality of the footage. The HC1 is a fantastic prosumer HD, and maybe a nice back up for a professional...but not a solid primary system for a professional shooter.

Thanks for the replies. We ended up getting the HC1 last night. We considered getting one of the Sony or JVC pro units, but the size was a huge factor. Professionally we'll be using it for doing test shots, showing the (non-diving) director underwater locations and sets, etc.; I believe the actual filming will probably be done w/Panavision. And then afterwards we'll have a camera with which to film the pretty fishies.:D

I'm pretty happy with the HC1. I have an Ikelite housing, a UK HID light and a +4 diopter for close up work. I haven't used it much underwater. Most the footage I've shot since August has been above water. It does a very competent job. I create either HD media DVD disks or you can downconvert to very good quality 4:2:2 Video DVDs. I have a folder of miscelaneous stuff at www.larsdennert.com/hc1 You need a computer capable of HD playback to view the videos.

Guess I'm not able to play back HD, 'cause I got zilch when I opened your site.

We bought the HC1, and are working with Mike at H20photopros on getting a Gates housing. Good guy, very knowledgable, and is getting us our housing tomorrow :D . Works miracles, too.

We leave for Thailand on Wednesday and can't wait to try it out.

I was able to play back Lars' Catalina footage. I've been to the park many times, the video you took does a good job of capturing it. The Garibaldi footage has me sold, I really want the camcorder. I want to get out to Anacapa and shoot the sea lions with that kind of resolution. As far as buying, I'm holding off a couple of months myself. I like the idea that I will be able to play back HD footage recorded to a DVD - EVENTUALLY. Blu-ray looks like its going to be a lot more expensive than HD-DVD based on the list prices, and all of the PC recorders and DVD playback is due to come out sometime around April or later. I want to do video on my next vacation, but that's a while off, so I don't have a pressing need to have the camcorder. I'm going to wait it out until the playback and recording devices become available. I don't know if the Sanyo Xacti is going to match the Sony in quality, but maybe some competition will drive the price of the Sony down (the Xacti is also nominally being released in April but who knows when a suitable housing will be available - I'd celebrate my tax refund by buying a Sony, but then I have to consider how much it cost me to get that refund in the first place).

Lars, have you been able to access all of the Sony's features through the Ikelite?

HIGH density DVD's - 2 standards are currently in the 'running'.... going to get ugly before it gets pretty..... anybody remember VHS vs. BETA tape formats? oy vay!

best description in town:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD-DVD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom